To My Sweet Little Nieces, With All My Love

For My Sweet Little Nieces, With All Of My Love

I hope that if you learn anything from this big world of ours, that you learn to love thanks to our family and from me.

182
personal photo

To my darling nieces, there is not a single thing I wouldn't do to hear your laughter and see that beautiful smile on your face.

You light up every room and are one of the biggest lights of my life.

From the very moment I found out about you, I have loved you so much. You may not be able to understand yet just how much, but eventually you will.

I will spend a lifetime showing you in every way I can, just how much you mean to me. I want to attend your concerts in elementary school when they force you to play the recorder. I want to be front row at every dance recital with a bouquet of flowers. I want to be there for every heartbreak as a teen, every graduation and birthday party.

I'm not a mother yet myself, but if the love I feel for all of you is any indication of what it's like, then I'm more than ready. Without a second thought or hesitation, I gave you all of my heart and my love.

The first time I held each of you, I swear time stopped. Even though you aren't mine, I see so much of myself and our family in you already.

We have our grandmother's fierceness. We run things. I can't wait to see you get your first jobs and hear you complain when you're not in charge of everything on day one.

We have our grandfather's love of music. You best believe I will be there at every talent show you have.

My face lights up every time I see your mom post a picture of you on social media. I get to see the moments you spend playing in the snow, or your adorable messy hair when you wake up. Moments forever encapsulated into photographs.

Cuddling with you may have to be my favorite thing of all. The last time that I saw you, I held you until you fell asleep and I almost didn't want to let go. It made me wonder how something so precious and pure can exist in our world. In a world where evil lies around every corner and people can be less than nice, I want to shield you and protect you, to make sure you get nothing but happiness out of life.

As much as I hope and pray that life treats you well, I know there will be times where things are rough. When life is pushing you too far and too fast. Just know I will be there to catch you when you fall.

Seeing you sick is the worst thing of all. There's absolutely nothing I can do for you to help. I can visit and provide comfort, but I can't take the hurt away. I would do anything to take it away from you. There is no way that I could even begin to imagine the anguish your parents feel. All I can do is offer them support and the occasional message to tell them that I'm always only a text or phone call away.

You four little girls have been some of the brightest stars in my life. I cherish every single moment that I'm able to have with you. I thank God that He put you in our lives because you have made them so much better in the few short years that you've been around.

One day I hope you love your own little nieces just as much as I love you.