Letter to my Melanin Queens

Letter to my Melanin Queens

She contains a lot more than what meets the eye.

2387
Letter to my Melanin Queens

Who told you that you weren't beautiful? Who told you that you weren't worth it? Who told you that you weren't enough? Was it a guy? Was it a girl? Was it your family? Social Media? Who told you? Allow me to remind you who you are. Allow me to give you back your confidence. Allow me to explain how much you even existing matters.

1. What does the phrase "Melanin Queen" even mean?

Melanin: a dark brown to black pigment occurring in the hair, skin, and iris of the eye in people and animals. It is responsible for tanning of skin exposed to sunlight.

Queen: the female ruler of an independent state, especially one who inherits the position by right of birth.

Melanin Queen = Black Queen

Your Black is beautiful; don't ever let society, social media, or stereotypes tell you otherwise. Melanin is apart of you, your soul, your being, and it is what makes you stand out from the rest. You are a Queen and you are as important as anyone else. Your crown was made different because you, yourself, are different.

2. Why are Black women so under-estimated?

"She's always got a bad attitude.

"She always thinks she's the best."

"She doesn't even know how to dress."

"Why is she so mean?"

"Why is she so rude?"

Why this? Why that? Did you ever once stop to think that maybe it's a part of who she is as a person and a human being? We don't try to be anybody but ourselves, but in our world, that is an everyday struggle. You can't wear this because it doesn't look right, you can't do this because you aren't any good. You can't, you can't, you can't. Yes I can. Because I'm a woman, it's very hard to take me seriously. Because I am black, it's hard to befriend me. But, because I am both, it's either avoid me or walk all over me. No. We have a voice, just like anyone else. We have a mind that overclocks just like anybody else and we work hard like everybody else, because it's in our nature and we feel like we should be strong and independent.

3. Her physical appearance is always overlooked.

From the top of her head down to the soles of her feet, she was born to walk in a way that defines who she is. Her legs are bit longer, shorter. Her hips are a lot curvier than most. Her eyes are a bit more darker. But yet, and still, she is overlooked, constantly. She treats her body like a temple; when you look into her eyes, you should know that she can read your very soul. When she opens her mouth and smiles, you might be blinded from the pure brightness that is shown. Her style of dress is unique, all on its very own. Her hair is not nappy or damaged. Her hair is her crown and it's what signifies who she is.

4. She contains more than you know.

M= Motivation

E= Elegance

L= Love

A= Amazement

N= Nurturing

I= Intelligence

N= Nationwide

Q= Quality

E= Enlightenment

E= Excellence

N= Natural

S= Strength

She contains a lot more than what meets the eye. She is soul-filled and was created in mind to be unique. When God made melanin, He thought of us. He blessed us to be more than someone's stepping stone, He blessed us to be unique, beautiful and all of the above.

Remember who you are, my queens. You're soul-filled, light-filled, and everyone's dream. God made us special. All women are beautiful, but sometimes it is nice to remind those who get overlooked how much worth they hold. I am a black woman. I am a melanin queen. YES, I am worth it and YES, I embrace every part of me.

To all of my Melanin Queens out there: Pick up your head, darling, your crown should never tip or fall. You are beautiful; society is ugly.

To all Queens everywhere: Embrace yourself, embrace others, embrace women everywhere.

We were all meant to love, not judge. Give a lot more love and a little less judge.