A Letter To My Little For Initiation

A Letter To My Little For Initiation

Welcome to to sisterhood, little one!

15880
A Letter To My Little For Initiation

Dearest Little,

First let me just say WELCOME. You have just joined a sisterhood of amazing girls. About a year ago, I was joining this sisterhood during my own initiation, and I didn't know how to feel. I thought it was weird how seriously the older girls took it, but I understand now. By being initiated, you join something bigger than yourself. You are joining a sisterhood of Kappa Alpha Theta.

I have a younger brother, and you have an older sister. We came from two (somewhat) different worlds, with different ideas of what being a "sister" was. Your sisterly love came in the form of a best friend/older sister. Mine came in the form of the somewhat annoying, somewhat loving little brother. Because of these differences, I wasn't sure if I was going to be the right Big for you. I thought maybe we wouldn't be the right fit for each other, since we had these different experiences of sisterhood. It wasn't until after Big/Little week that I realized that it didn't matter. That what being a sister was all about being there for each other, regardless of what the situation was.

This was something I remembered learning at my own initiation. When I was surrounded by all of my (now) sisters, I remember thinking why are these girls taking this thing so seriously? I didn't realize it at that moment, but I know now that sisterhood is about more than getting dressed up and taking cute pictures at football games, it's about more than helping raise money for your philanthropies, and competing in Greek Week. Sisterhood is truly for a lifetime. Your sisters will always be there for you, and will always be there to support you. They're going to be surrounding you during the good and the bad, and there is nothing you can ever do or say to make them do otherwise.

Little, that is what I want you to take away from your initiation. Not the excitement of getting to wear our greek letters (even though that is a pretty cool perk, and now you can wear like 90% of the shirts I gave you), not the kite Badge that you'll have for the rest of your life (even though, okay, that's pretty cool too, especially since it signifies so much); not either of those things. I want you to take away from initiation the feeling of security. The feeling that these girls that are surrounding you will be your sisters. That no matter what exciting time or tough time you're having, that there will always be someone to celebrate with, or a shoulder to cry on.

The commitment that you make of becoming a sister is something you will never regret. I'm so glad to have you as my little and I'm so glad to officially have you as my sister!

Theta Love and All of Mine,

Lydia