An Open Letter to My Little Cousins

An Open Letter to My Little Cousins

I love you so much.

30
An Open Letter to My Little Cousins
Hannah Stivenson

Dear Little Cousins,

Growing up was fun. I was always the oldest, so I was in charge and could tell you what to do and when. I was always the one that you would imitate. I was the one that helped you when you fell down. My favorite memories are all with you guys, like when we dug a hole in our grandma’s front yard by the porch and got covered in mud and had to go get a bath because no matter how many times they told us to stop we wouldn’t. But now it collects rain so it isn’t even a bad thing. Also going out to your house in New Jersey and going to Six Flags Waterpark and me making your mom alternate between the "Stuck in the Suburbs" soundtrack and Jesse McCartney in the car.

You guys have always been a huge part of my life. Even when everyone else leaves, you guys are still there. I know I don’t get to see you that often but you mean the world to me. Every second I get to spend with you makes me so happy. I use to get annoyed when I was younger that you guys never left me alone and sometimes I still do, but seeing you grow up is such a fun thing. I wouldn’t be the person I am without you. I was so used to always having you around that now that you are all growing up and doing your own thing it’s weird to me. You still need me but it’s for totally different reasons now.

Since I’ve already experienced what you guys are going through, you come to me for real world advice and it makes me feel so old. I still feel like we are the age where we would all swim in the kiddie pool and get mad at each other for getting grass in it. You’re all practically adults and it makes me miss the days when you were little.

Don’t get me wrong, I love growing with you and watching you become amazingly, beautiful, women. You each have a personality that is so unique and I love seeing it come out. You all have went from shy to speaking your mind and that’s all a part of growing up.

I got my flower tattoo on my shoulder of each of your birth months because you will always be growing and blossoming. I wanted to have a permanent reminder that you are always with me even if it’s not physically.

Life is hard. I’m not going to lie to you. You are going to have your heart broken. You will have broken dreams, friends will leave and everything can seem like it’s falling apart. You are going to cry at night, sometimes. You aren’t always going to get good grades. Not everyone in life is going to help you. But know this one thing…I always will be.

You will have me if you need to vent. I will always let you cry on my shoulder. You all have phones - so use them. If you have a problem that you feel you can’t talk to anyone about and you need to get it off your chest, I’m here. There is a cousin code. I promise to always keep your secrets safe.

I want to thank you for being my lifelong friends. I don’t know how I would have gotten through some of my toughest days without you. I know that we don’t get to see each other enough but I love you guys to the moon and back. Forever and always. I will always be your big cousin and you will always be my littles. I am so thankful that God put you in my life. I believe in you even if you don’t believe in yourself. Stay you, babes.