A Letter To My Little Brother As He Starts His Senior Year Of High School

Love you always and I'm here to annoy you forever little brother.
312

Dear Little Brother,

You’ve always been the younger, annoying, and pain in the butt sibling I’ve always said I didn't ask for. But as we have gotten older and have gotten closer I’m not sure what I would have done without my little brother by my side.

You’re starting your senior year of high school and I have watched your grow from an awkward middle schooler with glasses and braces to the almost 6-foot tall basketball star that everyone loves. It’s strange now to see you going through the college process that I went through not so long ago. The college visits, deciding your major, deciding decision that will impact the rest of your life. I know mom and dad are getting on your nerves but remember they are just trying to help. They want to see their little boy grow up into whatever he wants to be. You’ve dealt with your fair share of hardships already and you’ve grown up because of them.

I know as a senior the thing you’re most excited for is that high school is about to be over, but remember that you are making memories along the way. Go to that last football game and support your friends. Enjoy your senior night even though you’re going to complain the entire time. (I know you don't argue with me.) Go to the dances and prom even though you hate trying on tuxes and planning for events is the last thing you want to think about. Try your best in classes even though it's hard.

Enjoy all the time you have left with your best friends who have become nonbiological little brothers to me over the years. Don’t laugh at them when they cry at graduation and let your girlfriend take as many pictures as she wants. These are the memories you don’t want to forget. Just remember in a few short months from now you guys are going to be all going your separate ways. Hours, maybe even states apart. I know they make you mad sometimes and hearing your complaining about silly high school drama always makes me laugh because I’ve been there and I know in a few years you’re going to be laughing at it too.

Basically, enjoy your last year being home. Enjoy your last year as a kid. Let mom and dad annoy you a little more than usual, you’re going to miss it when you’re gone. Let mom ask stupid questions on the college tours and spend time watching movies with dad, it’s the little things you’re not going to realize you are going to miss. I know you don’t see it now, and I won’t say these are going to be the best years of your life, but I will say they are going to be memorable.

I can’t wait to see you grow and see where the world takes you in the next couple of years. I know you aspire to be just like your fabulous older sister.

Love,

Your favorite sister