A Letter To My High School Self

A Letter To My High School Self

I wish you could have seen this when you were crying over that stupid math test in the 9th grade.

141
A Letter To My High School Self

Dear freshman in high school Christina,

You're in high school! Life is rough right now, I get it. Sometimes life just sucks and that's okay. Remember that it's okay to not be okay sometimes, but also remember that leaning into Jesus is the best thing you can do when you're stressed out of your mind. Right now it may seem like you're never going to get out of whatever sticky situation that you're in.

I can assure you that Jesus doesn't leave you in a place of despair just to watch you struggle. He is a Father that is willing to step into the deepest and darkest parts of your heart, even when you are scared to go there yourself.

It's okay to go a few weeks without wearing makeup, give your face some time to breathe. Also, you're beautiful without it! Trust me. On the days that you feel the most insecure speak out the truth of who you are in Jesus's name. If you don't know what that truth is, ask your trusted mentors, because they will forsure tell you.

Making close, intimate, and life giving friendships take time to form. That won't happen in a week or two and that is more than okay. Yes, it can suck seeing other friends forming groups around you, but remember that God places right people in your life at the right time.

His timeline is far more advanced than your timeline for yourself, I promise you that. It takes time to form relationships and to build trust. Trust in Jesus that His ways are better than yours and that He's intentional with every person that comes into your life and that will come into your life.

And just because sometimes you choose to sit by yourself at lunch time does not EVER mean that you are any less than anyone else. Take the time for yourself to just breathe. Friends are the best, they are. But sometimes it's just as important to learn how to become comfortable with being by yourself.

Tests can sometimes just be the worst. Do not beat yourself up for not doing so hot on a test. There will be others. The numbers on a piece of paper do not define your intelligence. You are smart, creative, and courageous. Do not feel shame because you don't study the same as your other classmates.

You're you for a reason. Use your creative outlets for good in these years. People appreciate your ability to be creative and to draw others into what you want to say. Be strong for what you stand for and don't let other people's negative opinions or remarks draw you away from what you know is true. Stand up for what you believe in, but also guard your heart. If you're in a conversation where you feel uncomfortable, you have the right and the voice to excuse yourself.

Surround yourself with people who speak with a sound mind. And while liking boys is fun, don't let it consume your precious little heart. Sometimes it's just not worth it. There are so many things you can put your time and effort too rather than focusing on a stupid boy. Don't even think about dating in high school, just wait a bit. Use your single years as a time to make a difference in the world around you.

You can make CHANGE. Don't laugh at that.

It may sound like something out of a princess diaries movie, but It's true. Your voice can impact the way others view themselves. Use your voice for good. Let Jesus shine through you in every moment of your every day. The more you pour your love for the Lord into others the more fulfilled you will become.

Lastly, never let the lies of the enemy be louder than the voice of truth. There is so much power in proclaiming the truths of who Jesus is, it will change the way you live your life.

Keep killing it.

-Junior in college Christina