A Letter To My Family

A Letter To My Family

To Mom, Dad, Brandon, Gram, Grammy Cheril, and Uncle Jeff

693
A Letter To My Family
Jarrett Pelletier

This article isn’t really an article. It is a thank you letter. I want to thank my family for all they have done for me over the years. Their presence in my life has meant the world to me, and they have taken it further than that, as a family should. They support me in every way, shape, and form. They love me unconditionally, even when I am not the nicest to them.

Mom, I want to thank you for being one of the strongest people that I know. You have been tough with me and you have shown me that there are rules to follow in the world. You have shown me that I can’t get away with anything and that I should watch myself. Although these things may not have been easy for you, they really did help me in the long run. Actually, I’m surprised you don’t still ground me with some of the stuff I say or the way I can still act now. I want you to know too, that you still showed me all the support that I needed. Even though we had a time frame where it seemed like we couldn’t be in the same room or else we would argue, I always knew that you would be there for me and that I could always ask for your help. You came to all my events and always, always told me that you were proud of me and that you love me. You still do. Thank you mom, I love you.

To my dad, I want you to know that you made my childhood so much fun. All the adventures we went on and all the silly things we would do. There was always something special about the bond that you, Brandon and I had. We would always make our own fun. If we didn't have something to do, we would go on an adventure or stay right in our own home and play with play dough or play with our huge bin of toys. Our summer vacations with you were the best too, and I still think we should finish doing everything on our list that we made. Even the chores that we did for you were fun. Who knew that putting mulch in the garden, or planting flowers in the whisky barrel was something I would like? Anyways, you helped me find adventure in life while still being smart and safe. I don’t think I’d be close to the person I am now without you and what you taught me along the way. Thank you for also being there for me and for showing that unconditional love.

Brandon, yes we have recently had a time period of dislike for each other. I’m happy since college that has gone away for the most part (even though you might still get irritated with me). Lately, I’ve appreciated being able to call you and talk or get help for things I don’t know. I missed that awesome relationship I had with my older brother. When we were little, we definitely had moments of arguing or moments of anger towards each other, but by the end of the day that would all go away. I think my fondest memories with you are the ones where we would sit in the porch of the farm house and eat vegetables with catalina dressing. We would take naps and then find our friends to play. I also love the memories of the clubhouses or just exploring the land around us. We had a lot of fun and had huge imaginations. I’m happy we had these experiences together and could get into some trouble too. It made our childhood the best, and I’m grateful for what we did. Now, I’m still trying to find that perfect balance of what connects us again, but that will come soon I’m sure. I’m happy that we talk again and can actually get along and I’m excited to see what our adult lives bring to the table. It will be interesting to see where we both end up. Although you’ve kind of started a new phase of life in Bangor, I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.

Gram, first off, thank you for helping me so much along the way, especially right now. I know that these next couple of months will mean a lot of work for me and a lot of effort and planning, but my trip to study abroad will be a trip of a lifetime and thank you for understanding that and pushing for me to go. I am so excited. I also want to address that you have been amazing in spoiling your grand kids. I try not to ask for so much now, even though I slip up sometimes. But, in all reality, you have helped me with everything that I need. Whether that be sending me something I need last minute, or letting me call you to vent in my worst times of stress, thank you. I know sometimes I don’t show that I appreciate you and that I can even show the opposite of appreciation, but trust me, you have helped me get by so many times and I couldn’t begin to repay you for the support you have given me. I have always enjoyed spending time with you or going out to lunch when I see you now. I love our long talks that we have on the phone where I tell you everything that is going on. I am excited to come home and help you with the library book sale and maybe even spend a night or two at your house. Thank you for always supporting Brandon and I, and always coming to EVERY SINGLE ONE of our events. I don’t know how you do it. Even if it was a long drive, you would come to our cross country meets and recitals. It means the world to have had you there and I can’t wait to have you here for my fashion show in another two weeks. I love you and I’ll see you soon!

Grammy Cheril, I want to say, I wish I was closer to you in distance! In the past years when I was younger, I loved spending the night at your house so much. As kids, the drive seemed far, but we were always so excited to see you. We would always swim in the pool and steal pistachios out of the bowl on the counter. Those were and are my favorite. I was always happy to sit in the living room and listen to stories or play on the waterbed upstairs. Your home is one that is always welcoming and is always cozy and comfortable. It is a place that I have always known and a place that I will always want to be, but it wouldn't be that way without you. I appreciate you making the trip to some of my events in the past too! Those events or concerts always felt complete. They were so rewarding after to come out from back stage and see you and the rest of the family waiting for me. I also love our family Christmases. It is the one chance to get everyone together and to all be in the same place at once. Those times are the best times. As Brandon and I have gotten older, please know that we both wish we could see you more often (Brandon is definitely a lot closer) and that we know you are just happy to watch where our adult lives will take us. I know that you are proud of all we do and I appreciate the support you give us. I love you and I will see you soon.

To Jeffy, I miss you! Just like Grammy Cheril, I wish I was closer to you! I enjoy seeing you so much, and every time I do, I always know that we will have a good conversation. I have always enjoyed showing you the new things I have done and I know that you have been proud of me every step of the way. I am so happy to have had an uncle like you in my life. We have always been so close and I am grateful for that. Coming to your house has always been such a treat. I love exploring the land and playing with the cats. This new kitty is so cute! I also loved wrestling with you and Brandon when we were younger (although that might have been torture to you at points haha!). I am sad that this year I will miss our Thanksgiving dinner, but we all know I’ll be having the time of my life. Missing this dinner is disappointing to me but thats why FaceTime is a thing! Also, one thing that is so special about our relationship is that we share a birthday! How could I have not mentioned that earlier? I am happy that we get to celebrate together. Although I may have stolen your special day, I think that we make quite the team and that it makes the day better to have two of us celebrate. I love you and I appreciate all that you have done for me along the way. I can’t wait to see you and tell you all about whats new. Love you!

So, to all my family, thank you and I love you. I know that there are many more people I could write about and that I could keep going with each one of these letters. I know that all of you will understand that these are not the only memories I think about and that there is so much more that I am grateful for, but quite honestly, this article is late, WHOOPS! But anyways, I know that you all know these letters will not be equal, because you are all different to me and you all bring different, amazing things into my life. You have all contributed to who I am in different ways, and even though that’s the case, I appreciate you all and love you all just as much. So here is my final thank you, thank you for loving me and helping me grow as a person, without each of you, I would be nothing, and I would be totally different, probably for the worse. Each of you has made such a huge impact I'm my life and I couldn’t imagine it being any other way. To each of you reading this, I love you!