To The Fake 'Friends' I Finally Realized Weren't Real

It took me a while, but now I see.

598
Stocksnap

Dear Fake Friends,

I never really understood the meaning of a fake friend. I mean, in order for me to consider someone a "friend," there are certain qualities that I feel are necessary for one to have. The qualities like being: talkative, funny, trustworthy, having things in common, etc. Those are the things that make all great friendships...right? You see, it wasn't until recently I discovered that out of a group of 6 friends...only 2 of you are real. By real, I mean, friends that truly want to be in my presence.

High School was filled with friend groups, and people associating themselves among one- another in order to climb the social hierarchy that consumes stereotypical high school settings. Sure, I've heard the stories of friend groups falling apart once high school is over, but I never thought we'd be in that category. Not the girls that I shared my biggest heartbreaks with; secrets that I had never told; memories created only to be washed away. How does it feel to know all of that was not real? We were only people surrounding ourselves with each other for the outside appearance of a perfect friendship.

The realization that you all never wanted to be an actual friend of mine occurred three nights ago. The night was young, I had just returned from being out-of-town for approximately one month after high school graduation. The entire time I was away, I was being swarmed with Snapchat messages and comments saying, "Miss you so much," "We have to hang out when you get back," "Love you." However, the night I returned, with hopes of revisiting "old times," you guys would say to me... "sorry, we can't hang out tonight." I willingly accepted the rejection, but it was the things I would see next that enlightened me of your true colors. Videos swarmed my social media with images of you girls, my "friends," who blew me off, out together. Shopping, eating, laughing, enjoying time together...all without me.

I must say, that hurt. The girls I spent the last 4 years of my life with erasing me from their lives within the blink of an eye. The friendships I thought I had, weren't even authentic. But guess what, you all's rejection could single-handily be one of the greatest changes in my life. I think it's time for me to say goodbye to the fake and say hello to the real. Trust me, the life I am entering now is only real.

Have a nice, fake life.

Sincerely,

That girl you never really considered your friend.