A Letter To My Close Friends Who Have Grown Distant

I just wanted to say thank you

2854
Huffington Post

It’s weird to be writing this letter because this is the closest I’ve gotten to communicating with you in a long time. A few years back, I would never have guessed we’d end up like this. You were the people I went to first with everything. My most exciting news, my biggest heartbreaks—they all went to you. There was a time when you knew both the secrets that no one else did and my biggest dreams. You could have described me to a stranger using my idiosyncrasies, the things I’m most passionate about, and my biggest fears. You knew who I was back then better than most people.

You don’t know me anymore. If someone asks you who I am, you can't tell them. That’s OK, though; I don’t think I could tell them who you are, either.

It took me a while to recognize that our drifting apart was a natural part of life. Honestly, I was really hurt by it for a while. I felt like I had done something wrong, and I couldn’t understand why we didn’t talk anymore. Deep down though, I did understand it—I just didn’t want to accept it.

I am not the same person I was a few years ago, and neither are any of you. Life has led us in different directions. Our paths don’t cross anymore. The things we used to have in common have faded; the dependence we used to have on each other is gone. Though some parts of us will never change, we’ve all experienced unique things that have allowed us to grow. Unfortunately, we happened to grow separately.

This is getting sad, and that is not the purpose of this letter. I’m writing this letter because I want to say thank you. My lovely friends, you have given me some of the best memories of my life. There were the times we laughed until 2 a.m., and the times we cried together until we couldn’t cry anymore. The sleepovers, the game nights, the crazy adventures. We had inside jokes that made no sense to anyone else but still have me laughing when I think of them, and we had deep life conversations that never actually made much sense at all. We grew up together, and although we can’t continue growing together, you’ve shaped the person I am today. People say their pasts don't define them, and I agree. But your past does help to mold you. So thank you.

Thank you for being there and being wonderful friends. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for encouraging me. Thank you for pushing me outside my comfort zone. Thank you for taking my side. Thank you for forgiving me. You encouraged me to do stupid things sometimes, and I’m grateful for that. You embarrassed me sometimes, and I’m grateful for that. Thank you for supporting me, for loving me, and for making me smile.

I’m writing this letter to wish you the best. Please know that I still care about you, and I want your future to be incredible. I hope it’s filled with adventure and excitement. I hope you have the courage to pursue your dreams. I hope you’re given opportunities you could never have imagined, and I hope you’re able to love with all of your heart. I hope any sadness you’re faced with is outweighed by incomparable joy. I hope you have all you’ve ever wanted and more. And, if you ever need a friend, I hope you know that I’m still here. We may be different now, but I’ll always be here.