An Open Letter To My Brother On His Birthday

To the most irreplaceable best friend

61682

Dear Christian,

With your birthday coming up, I've been thinking about you a lot. Thank you for always being the brother I need, even when I am 400 miles away. I know that I can always count on you to make me laugh. I consider you one of the most important and constant people in my life, and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

I've been lucky enough to have you around for 11 years now, and I couldn't imagine my life without you. You are the greatest gift that life has given me, and I am so thankful that I got to grow up with such an enthusiastic and life-loving brother.

For your 11th birthday, I have compiled 11 pieces of advice for you:

1. Patience is more valuable than gold. I understand that being patient can be very difficult sometimes, but it will make your life a lot easier. I promise.

2. Always pay attention to mom and dad when they want to talk to you, even if it means pausing your video game or stepping away from what you are doing. They want to talk to you because they love you and care about you so much. Always listen to them.

3. Your world is HUGE and full of wonderful things. Take advantage of all the gifts that God has given you. This includes your friends, family, school, talents, and everything else you see around you. Be thankful for all of these things and never take them for granted.

4. Spend your time doing important things. It's great to spend an entire Saturday in your pajamas watching cartoons, but don't make a habit of it. Play with your friends, pick up a good book, or take the dog on a nice walk through the neighborhood.

5. Discover your passion and follow it with all your heart. Whether you decide that it's playing soccer or doing tae kwon do, I will support you in whatever you decide to do.

6. Give back to your community. You are so fortunate to have everything you could ever need. You have a big heart; share it with those who need it most.

7. Remember to play with your dog and clean your fish tank regularly. Your pets only have you to rely on, be the best pet owner you can be.

8. Being smart is not lame. Do not be afraid to show your intelligence. Embrace it and be proud of yourself.

9. Know that you can count on me whenever you need me. I am a quick phone call, text, or face time away. Never be afraid to reach out to me when you need me.

10. Your family is the most important thing in your life. Everyone else may come and go, but your family will always be here. Cherish that.

11. This last piece of advice may be a little cheesy and cliche, but I think it's very important to remember. Follow your dreams, and do what makes YOU happy. When you are happy, everything else falls in place. Your happiness should be your priority.

Thank you for making these last 11 years a little brighter and more full of laughter and smiles. I am so proud of the person you are becoming. I hope you have a wonderful birthday.

With all of my love,

Laura