A Letter to Loretta

A Letter to Loretta

My best friend, who happens to stand on four legs.

60
A Letter to Loretta

Dear Loretta,

I wish you could talk and understand everything I'm about to say to you, but I feel like we have a pretty good understanding of each other just through our eye contact. Although, I know what your every bark and whine means and I like to think you know what I'm saying even when you act like a teenaged girl and ignore me.

I need to thank you for being my favorite snuggler..sorry boyfriend! You know when I'm hurting, when I'm sad, and when I just need a good hug. Thank you for letting me use you as a pillow when I have a migraine, and thank you for burying your head into my stomach when you can sleep.

Thank you for making me feel so extra specially loved every time I walk in the door. The boyfriend gets pretty happy when I come home, but you put him to shame. You jump and you bark and you shake your whole body out of excitement from simply seeing my face. I could be in the worst mood of my life and just seeing your pure happiness brightens my day and puts a smile on my face.

Thank you for making me new friends everywhere I go because apparently I'm not the only person who adores you. Nobody can resist loving my perfect little puppy, who is no longer a puppy. I can't believe you're 4 years old. I feel like I just got you yesterday.

I'll never forget little 12 week old Loretta playing in the river after a long drive from Iowa. You were so happy and that smile has never left your face. People say hound dogs look sad, they even say that you look depressed most the time, but I see right through it. I see the joy in your eyes and the grin on your face.

I have to tell you something that might make you fit the stereotypical hound sadness for a little bit, but you'll get your fun-loving personality back in no time. Tomorrow you're becoming a big sister! I know you might think I'm going to devote all my attention to Conway, which might be true for a couple days, but you're a big girl and I'll never forget about my Loretta. You probably think I'm getting another dog, which was the plan, but your little brother is actually going to be of another species. He's a pig. A Julianna pig to be exact. He will be a little smaller than you are when he's fully grown and he'll like to cuddle as much as you do.

I know this may seem strange, but I haven't been this excited since the day I picked you up. I know it seems scary, but you'll grow to love Conway. You two will be the best of friends and I can't wait to cuddle both of you at the same time. So to finish this up, I want to make sure you remember how much I love you, and how much I appreciate everything you've ever done for me. You've been there for me when no one else even realized a needed a shoulder and you've made me feel loved when my world felt upside down.

I love you with everything I have Loretta Lynn, and I can't wait to see what a good big sister you are.

With all my love,

Your mama