To The Unsure College Junior, Now's Not The Time To Take Your Foot Off The Gas

Five semesters down, three to go.

115
shinyai / Flickr

Dear third year-er,

You now have two and a half semesters left in your college days (if you are on the 4-year track). Five semesters ago you were an incoming, naive, and ignorant freshman, but now you are a somewhat stronger, slightly more educated upperclassman. If you are anything like me (and most people I know), then you are still not quite too sure what your post-graduation plans look like. But maybe you have an idea, which is a start, and for that I applaud you. It's stressful deciding what you want to do with your life and all.

Now is the time to begin the transition from student (freshman, sophomore or junior) to senior. There's a distinct difference. College is basically separated as such: freshmen, middle classes, and then seniors. That's all the classification that matters, really. Being a junior, though, means you have to start to assemble your goals and aspirations in life. For some people, they know exactly what their future will look like and how they will get there. However, most of us students are blindfolded mice running through a maze. Maybe some of us have an idea of what we want to pursue, so then they would just be mice navigating a maze sans eyesight restriction. My point is, it's difficult.

There's more to the name "junior" than it seems. Applying for internships and jobs and expanding our resumes are just part of the obligations of this class. Juniors still have to do well in their classes because the GPA cannot fall; if anything, it must rise. Classes are hard- they are no joke (for the most part) and require undivided attention, not to mention the projects and countless hours of studying for quizzes, tests and exams/finals.

Juniors can't get away with using the excuse of "I have senioritis" (if only). So, that means buckle down and get through this spring semester. Think of this year as a step before entering into real-world duties, like getting a job. Being a senior entails that when you graduate you have some place of employment lined up, because somehow or another you will have to support yourself. So juniors, relish in the fact that you have yet to reach this phase in your college career.

Think about your future plans and maybe try something out during a summer internship. But if things don't work out, no need to fret because you still have a year left in the comfort of the classroom. Push through the tough weeks and brutal tests, and just think: you only have three more sets of finals to go FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. If that isn't motivating enough, then I don't know what is.

I wish you the best,

Sam