To The Guy Who Left, All I Can Say Is 'Thank You'

You were not my destination, but you most definitely were a crossroad that helped me get to where I am today.

212

I didn't know how much one conversation could wreck and heal me at the same time. I had almost forgotten how much I missed you, your voice, encouragement, and how you can just string words together that would light my heart on fire. You made me care, trust and hope.

You set the bar high and gave me so much to remember.

I could never forget how you treated me with gentleness and honesty. And how you always had a way of making every moment feel like an extraordinary adventure. I just hope, in return, that I at least made your bad days better.

After all that we have been through, we deserve a soft, peaceful ending to this chapter. You gave it to me through laughs and tears, and I can't thank you enough for that. Circumstances have changed and what we are, but not who we are. You're still a forest and I'm still an ocean.

One day someone will get lost in the evergreen forest that you are, and love every step of it. And one day someone will learn to swim in the blue ocean that I am and fall in love forever.

Thank you for being brave enough to do what I may not have done — leave.

Thank you for caring about me enough to let me go. You didn't stay, but now you gave someone else the chance to. Thank you for appreciating me in many ways, and making me realize what kind of person I need to wait for.

Thank you for making me realize that someone can fall in love with me for my heart, not just my face and body. I no longer hide my messy, weird, honest or sentimental sides. It's all about who I really am.

Thank you for breaking my heart, blocking me, choosing someone else and leaving me with no other choice but to move on.

I didn't think we were over yet when I found out you were talking to someone else. To say I was hurt would be an understatement. I suppose sometimes I need more than a gentle nudge to release the past, and that did just that.

Thank you for saying we could stay friends when you only meant strangers — for saying forever when you only meant now. You said you were going to come back but just left again. I understand the weight and the power words hold over people now and hope you do too.

Maybe deep down I always knew the truth but forced myself to not admit it.

We weren't going to last. I had no choice but to accept the reality that was in front of me — we were just "almosts." We were, and then we just weren't.

I no longer have you as a contact on my phone. I no longer have your photos. I no longer hear your voice or all the little things you used to say to me. I no longer cry or have a heavy heart when I hear your name. What isn't meant for me, I am learning to gracefully let go of. It's OK to cry. It's OK to take time to process it and move on. The sun will come back out; it always does.

Everything happens for a reason, and I see so many reasons now. Our almost taught me things I wouldn't have learned otherwise and gave me many precious memories which I am grateful for.

Wherever we go individually, I know will be breathtaking. Life is full of goodbyes; some sudden, and some you see coming. Regardless, it's never easy, but it is always worth it for the next "hello" that comes. True love exists and is worth not rushing to get to. After all, the best is yet to come.

"Everyone you meet has a part to play in your story. And while some may take a chapter, others a paragraph, and most will be no more than scribbled notes in the margins, someday, you'll meet someone who will become so integral to your life, you'll put their name in the title." — Beau Taplin