A Letter To Your Future Self

A Letter To My Future Self

You'll thank me later.

165
A Letter To My Future Self
Rebecca Swyers

Right now, you are feeling pretty uneasy about what the future has to hold. You are almost done with college and will have to become what you like to call a "real adult." Even though right now you are legally an adult, you do not have the bills and worries that adult life offers. You are afraid, you are alone in a sense, and you have no idea what you are going to do with your life. While yes, you have an idea, life has a funny way of working out that may be different than what you thought. This letter is a reminder of what is important when life gets crazy in the adult world.

I am sure you are busy with work, family, friends and possibly dating; do not forget to take time for yourself in the midst of this. You love to go to coffee shops and read or write - do that! Take a Saturday morning and get a good cup of joe from somewhere you love. None of that Starbucks crap!

People always preach self-care but never take the time to do it. I do not mean take a day off work in the name of mental health. What I am trying to say is wake up 30 minutes earlier and do some yoga, read the Bible, or make yourself a breakfast that will jump-start your day. You will thank yourself around 3 o'clock when you start to crash. Also, take some extra time for your nightly routine. Take a bubble bath, do a face mask or spend some time unwinding on the couch with your cat or dog. You do not always need a whole day for mental health, this can do you wonders.

While the world is changing, I am sure that technology is advancing too. Please, please, please, turn off your phone. It is crazy what you miss when you are seeing things behind the lens of your camera or too busy looking at your phone screen. You do not have to delete all your social media apps and disconnect entirely, but be sure to take time to examine the world around you. This is especially important when with other people. Do you remember all the times you felt unimportant when your friends or dates stared at their phone when you were hanging out? I am sure you don't want to be like them!

Also, take time to travel. I know you till dream of seeing the world and that can be your reality. Save money and plan a trip somewhere you feel passionate about seeing. You cannot always wait for others to go with you, get up and go! Immerse yourself in another culture and see someplace you have not seen. You need to get out and explore while you are still physically able.

I know you hate to exercise, but at least try to do it every other day. You used to dream about running a marathon someday. If you have not already then this is your shot. This can contribute to your mental and physical health.

Lastly, I know that you are feeling pressure from society right now. Pressure to make a lot of money. Pressure to be the most successful. Pressure to be married with kids. Whatever the pressure may be, you do not always have to give in to it. Things take time. Money, success, and family do not happen overnight. I am sure you are doing great, but do not make your life completely about work or about others. Find a balance.

Whoever you may have become, I am proud of the person you are and the growth you have endured.