A Letter To 29-Year-Old Me

A Letter To 29-Year-Old Me

I hope you're doing alright.

17
A Letter To 29-Year-Old Me
Briele Toff

Why hello there, gorgeous!

I wanted to write us this letter to give you an idea of what I’m like today. I also want to tell you the hopes I have for us in ten years at this point in my life. I decided that there’s no better way to do this than through the internet, because there’s no way for this letter to disappear. Alright well that’s enough of that, here we go.

Today is Thursday April 6, 2017, it rained a lot today. I’m currently 19-years-old and I’m ending my freshman year at Cabrini. In fact, I scheduled classes for next semester this morning and it’s going to be a challenging semester for me. I wore leggings, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and flip flops today… Which is pretty much what I wear every day. My hair was pretty messy, and as much as I’d like to blame the rain for it, the truth is that I woke up too late to brush it.

I’m doing well in school; my grades have been better in these past two semesters than they were all of high school. It took me a little while to start to find my way here, but I think I've finally started to. Speaking of high school, I still miss it sometimes… Especially not having a ton of homework every night. I also miss the people that I was friends with in school, but didn’t really see outside of school, a lot. I think about them sometimes and I hope they’re all doing well.

19-year-old me cares a lot about my friends and family. I’m looking forward to Easter break because I’m really excited to see everyone. I’m also looking forward to the semester ending, because I’m going to Florida to see my grandparents. My friends at home mean a lot to me, as do my friends at school. I am dating Jerry and things are going great with him. Our three-year anniversary is next Wednesday, and I’m super excited about it. My friends are the main thing on my mind right now… I can’t wait to be done with my school work and down the shore with them all.

I want to tell you some of my favorite things in life right now and some of the most important things about me, just to be able to make a comparison for when I read this at 29. My favorite color is pink. I have a lot of favorite songs right now, but that’s nothing new. I’m currently obsessed with the show Big Little Lies, as well as it’s soundtrack, and I plan on reading the book this summer. Watching Netflix is one of my favorite past times, along with writing, napping, and going on car rides with my friends. (I love sitting in the car, I hope that hasn’t changed.) But my favorite shows on Netflix are One Tree Hill and The Office. I nap at least once a day, and I’m grumpy without enough sleep. My favorite place to be is the beach, I watch chiropractor videos in my spare time (weird, I know), and I’m on Buzzfeed literally 24/7. I have two tattoos and I can’t stop piercing my ears… Along with everyone else’s. Oh, and I recently got a hamster!!! He’s so cute, I love him to death. And then when it comes to 19-year-old me personality wise, I’d say that I’m always nervous or anxious. I think I’m funny. I care a lot about other people and their happiness, sometimes more than my own. I’m always trying to do the right thing, or at least what I think is the right thing. I’m terrified of making mistakes, even though I do make them frequently. Most people would describe me as a bubbly and quirky. And that’s pretty much it when it comes to me at 19.

I’m excited to be 29 one day, and I hope that I spent most my 20s having fun with my friends. I like to believe that at that point, I would’ve graduated college and obtained my Master’s Degree in Communications. It would be nice if I fulfilled the goals of my 19-year-old self and had a good paying job by the time I’m 29. My dream jobs would be to work for Buzzfeed, to teach communications courses at Sterling, or to be a journalist. I am aware that all of these jobs are going to be tough to get… But a girl can dream right?! As long as I have a job that has a positive influence on the world at 29, I’ll be happy. I recently came to the conclusion that my purpose in this world is to make a difference, and I hope that by that point I would’ve started. I’m assuming that at 29 I have a full-time job, and that I’m paying bills along with my student loans… Which is the only part about being 29 that I am not looking forward to. I better be married by the time I’m 29… And hopefully I have a kid or a dog or something by then. I hope I have been on a service trip by this point, and that I have been to Italy. It’d be pretty cool if I weren’t so anxious and nervous at 29, but then again, I feel like being nervous all the time is a part of me that will never change. All in all, I want to make sure I live these next ten years to the fullest, and I wish that 29-year-old Brielle will do 19-year-old Brielle justice.