A Letter To The Stressed-Out High School Student

In the grand scheme of things, these years are so irrelevant

455
huffingtonpost.com

To the Stressed Out High School Student,

I know it feels like your entire life depends on these four years. I know it feels like you're never going to get out of this school. But as a third year college student, I can promise you that in the scheme of it all, high school is so irrelevant.

I know you probably think that if you don't ace your SATS or get your GPA up, you're never going to get into college. I got into several colleges with just average SAT scores and an average GPA- and I wasn't even that involved in extracurricular activities! As long as your grades are decent, you will be fine. And if they aren't, community college is a great place to start. I know many people who didn't do too well in high school and now go to great colleges because they started out at community college. Plus you'll be saving a ton of money!

I know it feels like your reputation is based on these four years. As cliche as it sounds and as many times as you have heard it, no one cares about who you were in high school once you graduate. You will meet so many people in college, whether or not you decide to go away. It's crazy how fast we forget about the high school drama once you're not there anymore. You become so accustomed to your new environment and new routines that you forget about all of the silly high school gossip and rumors. I actually was looking through my yearbook recently and realized I don't even remember a good half of the people in my grade. And for the ones I do remember, I haven't seen 90 percent of them since graduation.

Finally, I know it feels like you're never going to graduate. I promise you it goes by so much faster than you think. I'll admit freshman and sophomore year tend to drag a little bit, but once you hit junior year it flies by from that point on. You're hit with getting your permit, then taking your SATS, then getting your license, and next thing you know it's senior year and you're applying to colleges. Before you know it you're buying your prom dress and sending in your housing deposit, and soon enough it's graduation day. There are so many milestones within junior and senior year that the time really does fly by.

Everyone will tell you to make your senior year count because there is no other year like it, and that you'll miss it once you graduate. Yes, senior year is fun, but college years are so much better. Although it can't hurt to miss, I promise you won't be missing much by not going to your last high school football game or even prom if you really don't want to. Don't feel pressured to attend everything senior year. If you're not interested, that's totally fine.

In the grand scheme of life, high school is such a small part of it. These years will not determine the rest of your life. So much can change after high school. You never know what path lies ahead of you, so don't stress too much about the future, but know that there are much better things to come.