A Letter to My Sister (And My Best Friend)

It's a bond that can't be broken.

25057
Rachel Flood

Dear sister (and best friend),

Our sisterhood extends beyond growing up in the same home, having similar DNA or sharing parents. Our relationship is one of a kind, not just because you’re my sister, but because you’re my best friend.

My childhood memories are decorated with your presence. Every night was a sleepover, even when we stopped sharing a room. I can still remember the inside jokes we made up when I was 10, and the forts we’d make outside. I can still remember how we flooded the bathroom with bubbles, and the times we would dance in the rain. But most of all, I can still remember those times we laughed until we couldn’t breathe, because they’re still happening today, not just because you’re my sister, but because you’re my best friend.

You’ve supported me through every endeavor and hardship I’ve faced. You’ve stood by me through every so-called “best friend” that has walked in and out of my life, even when I may have pushed you aside. When people treated me like I was disposable, you went out of your way to assure me of my worth. When I would doubt myself for the silliest things, you’d give me the strength to keep moving forward. You continue to be someone I can always confide in and trust, not just because you’re my sister, but because you’re my best friend.

No fight can strain our bond, because, although we disagree and yell sometimes, by the end of the day we’ll be hugging and laughing together like nothing happened. As we grow older, we seem to change together, like the leaves on the tree in our front yard. Today, as we move on with our lives and discover new people and places, I know we’ll always have each other, not just because you’re my sister, but because you’re my best friend.

There are few, if any, people who have impacted my life in the ways that you have. You have helped to shape me into the person I am today. The laughs, the tears, the vacations, the late-night movies, and all those small moments we cling to as we look back on our lives, wouldn’t have been the same without you. Honestly, without you, I quite simply wouldn’t be me. I feel so incredibly lucky, not just because you’re my sister, but because you’re my best friend.

Love,

Your sister (and your best friend)