Letter to My Roommate Before Our Sophomore Year

Here's to another year of living the dream

33

Hey, you --

We're about to start our sophomore year of college. Isn't it crazy? At this point in time we've only known each other for about a year, but it seems a heck of a lot longer than that -- I guess that's what happens when you live with someone in a room the size of some people's closets.

Even though we have only known each other for a year, we have been things that some people don't experience in a whole lifetime of friendship. You were by my side through the death of two friends, and the first anniversary of the death of another. A few times, you were quite literally the only thing standing between me and collapsing.

We have shared stories and memories -- enough that we could easily write each other's biographies. Many of the things we have shared are secrets no one else in our lives knows.

We have made -- and lost -- plenty of friends. We've watched, and sometimes been dragged into, the childish antics of some people we once called friends. Though we tried, I would be lying if I didn't say there was a few times we may not have chosen the high road either.

Too many nights were spent crying (or fuming) over stupid things other people had done. Though probably just as many nights were spent on the phone with your mom ranting about the stupid things people had done. Kudos to your amazing mom for dealing with our rants at all times of day and night for hours at a time.

Even though we dealt with some crazy rough stuff, we also had a busy and fun year. We became radio DJs (listen to us Friday nights from 10pm to midnight) and officially got to attend events and say we were "the press." We made it through some ridiculously tough classes and enjoyed some (weird) professors. We also made connections with some professors that are truly irreplaceable.

We explored the local scene -- or lack, thereof -- too many nights to count. We ate way too much pizza and watched an unhealthy amount of Netflix, but we also saw art galleries, explored new restaurants, and attended a few concerts.

Election season came and our room turned into the storage room for a ridiculous amounts of campaign materials. We spent countless hours campaigning and then even waited in line for hours just to attend a rally.

We spent a few afternoons cheering on the boys playing basketball across the road from our dorm and spent many nights judging the obnoxious people in our hallway. We met people from all walks of life with stories far more interesting than we ever could have imagined.

We grew and we changed. We laughed and we cried. We worked hard and we didn't sleep enough. We became the best of friends in a way we could never have imagined a year ago.

We're starting another year, a year I'm sure will be filled with crazy nights and busy days. We'll change more than we know and experience things we can't even imagine right now. Some days will be hard, but some days will turn out to be some of the best days of our lives.

Sophomore year is going to be interesting, that's for sure. We may gain -- or lose -- it all, but no matter what we go through, we'll do so side by side.

With love always,
Your roommate.