A Letter to the High School Seniors

A Letter to the High School Seniors

Make the most of these months
8526

Just one year ago, my life was completely different. I was just beginning all the "lasts" of my high school career, deciding where I would spend the next four years of my life, and trying to make last-minute memories with my best friends while also balancing my school work, and maintaining my long-term relationship.

Here I am, one year later; and everything has changed. I am now beginning all my "firsts" in college, staying in touch with my best friends via text, and doing it all single. Looking back at myself a year ago, I would have never ever guessed I would be where I am, with the people I am with today. The ways I have developed mentally, academically, and spiritually at college are numerous. Being on my own at college and being able to just focus on myself really helped me to grow and thrive in a place I was so scared to be on my own.

But this article is not about me. It is for all the high school seniors out there right now. I remember what it feels like to be in that place: scared but excited, nervous but eager, sad to leave high school memories behind but ready to make new ones at the college you will be attending. It may be really tempting to wish that time away, but don't do that. I often find myself wishing I could go back to senior year and tell myself so many things. Things like, "don't let one person control your happiness", "go out that weekend and be social, the homework can wait", or "don't get so caught up in the drama, enjoy all the good parts of getting dressed up and ready for school dances". Being a sentimental person, I knew I would miss high school. And sure enough; I was very very right about that. My first semester I would look at all the new seniors at my old school and wish I could have that time back. I would come home, and voluntarily go back to visit teachers and students on my breaks. High school was a place I met my best friends, encountered some of the most inspiring teachers, and made some of the best memories I have to this day. I thought I would never find somewhere else where I would have these feelings about. Boy was I wrong.

Second semester of college came and I could not believe just how fast I was making friends and meeting those influential people I had been waiting for. I could go on and on about how wonderful college has been for me, but I am getting off subject here. The whole point is; the grass is always greener on the other side. For you High Schooler's reading this, you cannot wait to escape the walls of your boring old school. For the college students reading this, you may be wishing you could just redo that one night in high school; make one more night of memories with your best friends. What I am here to do is to tell you "prospective college-bound students" is to enjoy the last few months you have at home, like the showers you don't have to wear Old Navy flip-flops in, the five minute drive to your best friends house, the crowded student section at the basketball games or the family dinners. All the things you don't think to notice, the little things are what you will miss the most... take it from me. It is great to be excited about a University, but you will be thanking me for reminding you to appreciate that homemade Lasagna in 6 months when you are sitting in the cafeteria eating something that resembles a burger. There is a life beyond high school, but for now enjoy those end-of-class bells, because I promise you will eventually miss them.