A Letter To Myself As I Leave For College

Moving into your dorm can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be unless you overthink every detail.

31
squarespace.com

Every year when I start to pack for school I always get very panicky about every small detail. I worry about packing bags, about packing the car, unpacking the car, getting to school early enough to have a front spot in the check in line so I don't have to wait long, getting my room setup in the exact way that I want it, losing contact with friends, and many other things. I find that I am constantly reminding myself to calm down and breathe and that my issues really aren't as big as I make them out to be, and the only voice of reason I will listen to is my own. It usually goes as so:

Dear Me,

Hey, long time no talk. So every time you pack for school and get ready to leave, you start to overthink things, which causes you to panic and get nervous. Relax, breathe, remove yourself from the situation that is causing you to freak out and I'm sure you'll see that it really is not so bad. The clothes will fit one way or another, and if they don't you can make them fit, you've done it before.

You don't need as much time to pack as you think you do, it doesn't take that long. Instead of using packing as an excuse, go ahead and go out with those friends that asked you to hang out, or go to that movie, or agree to any plans that you don't know if you can do. Do not let packing hold you pack from spending a few hours with friends for the last time until your first break. It's okay to have fun instead of stressing out.

Packing that car up is really no sweat once you figure out how to tackle all of your stuff. You've done it for two years already, so why are you still worried about it? It will fit, you know it will. So what if you have to play Tetris in your trunk? At least the stuff fits. As long as everything gets in there without breaking and you can close the doors, it will be okay. You don't need to plan to pack the car for an hour, it really won't take that long. Sit back and drink some coffee first, you will have the time for it.

Now that you think about it, the check in line does move pretty quick, so it really shouldn't take you that long if you aren't the first person in line. Don't freak out if there is a little bit of traffic as you are on your way to school. You'll get there and you will have plenty of time to get your papers in order while you wait in line for your keys.

Don't even worry about how your room will get set up because you know you are more than likely going to want to change it three times before you're happy with the way it looks. It will get there eventually, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the perfect dorm room.

Do not even begin to worry about losing touch with friends. If you guys stop talking then either it wasn't meant to be or you're both just busy with school. The only way to find out is to reach out to them, and do not be afraid to be the one that reaches out. That has never helped anything in the past, it's only made you feel worse. You got this, why wouldn't they want to be friends with you anyways? Even if you loose some friends from back home, you will make new friends at school, so it will be okay in the long run.

Just remember to smile, breathe, and don't be nervous to talk to people. This semester is going to be great and you're going to kick butt!

With Love,

Yourself

I hope this helps and that all of you have a fantastic Fall Semester!