To The Grandparents Who Never Gave Up On Me

Family means no one gets left behind.

34
Huffington Post

To my loving grandparents,

You have shown me how important family is. You have shown me how important it is to be there for another, especially in very difficult times. You have both shown me how to be strong individuals and only grow from past experiences. You have shown me to not dwell on the past and always look ahead. Anything is possible if I put my mind to it.

Every story has a lesson to it, and I have learned something new each time you speak. I love learning of how you two met, what it was like to raise my dad, aunt and uncles. I look forward to each holiday and just being with you and the rest of our family. Our memories and laughs is something I will take with me no matter where I go.

Papa, you are the strongest man I know. Your stories never fail to make me smile and remember a time I never experienced. In a time where it seems like nothing is possible, I know you can get through anything. I know things might not be going in the direction you wish they were. We've just hit a little bumpy road and together, as a family, we can get through anything.

Nanny, you are easily the strongest woman I know. You are empowered and never let anyone walk over you. You are intelligent and beautiful, strong-willed and cannot be knocked down. In the most difficult time, you have stood by your husband's side and never once thought of leaving. This moment in our lives is hard and we are all scared for what may come. But you have been strong and constantly wanting to know and understand what can happen next.

I learned to crawl in your old home, went swimming in your old pool. You never gave up on me, even when I gave up on myself. You pushed me to choose a career path I will be happy with. You told me to keep my chin high when all I wanted to do was curl up. You told me that it was okay to cry, even when you are supposed to be the strong one.

I take our memories wherever I go.

We have hit a stand still in our seemingly never restful lives. Hospital visits are never ideal, driving in and out of the city may be a pain, but it is all to reach the best outcome imaginable. You two are the strongest people I know, both as a couple and individually. Together, you two can do anything and I have strong faith that you will.

I love you both unconditionally and will always be here for you. Whenever you need me, for whatever you need me for, I will be there. Family is important and we need one another to stay strong and keep our heads up.

In the wise words of Lilo and Stitch, "Ohana" means "family." "Family" means "no one gets left behind."