A Letter To My Cousin

A Letter To My Cousin

Sometimes the best things in life are given to you.
16867

People say that we start and end with family. In the end, it is your family that will be there to support you no matter what. My dad always said that your family members are your biggest fans, and he couldn't be more right.

Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are. I came to this realization when I was listening to the radio and the popular song, "See You Again," came on: How can we not talk about family when family is all that we got? The lyrics struck me in a weird way, and I started to really think about my cousin. I am so lucky to be able to call one of my family members, not only my cousin, but also my best friend.

This is an open letter to my best friend, thanking her for all the memories, laughs, and support throughout my life.

Dear Cousin,

I don't think I've ever taken the time to thank you for all the things that make me lucky to call you my best friend, and I don't think I will ever be able to. But here's a start:

Thank you for being born 19 years ago and giving me a built in bestie.

Thank you for enduring, and even encouraging, my Dylan Sprouse obsession.

Thank you for filling me in on all the family gossip.

Thank you for sitting by me at every holiday dinner at Grandpa's house.

Thank you for all the countless trips up North.

Thank you the numerous photo shoots we had, just to find a new profile picture.

Thank you for loving me when I loved gauchos.

Thank you for being a shoulder to cry on during the loss of family members.

Thank you for teaching me that boys suck.

Thank you for making the drive to my house all those nights.

Thank you for introducing me to pistachio ice cream.

Thank you for helping me annoy all of our older cousins.

Thank you for not making fun of me when I knew zero lyrics to a song, but chose to sing along anyway.

Thank you for laying on the beach with me with me even when your skin started to blister.

Thank you for accepting that my wardrobe consists solely of leggings.

Thank you for making me laugh until it hurt.

Thank you for letting me stand on the right side of every photo because you knew it was my “good side."

Thank you for surprising me with a visit at college.

Thank you for being my date to formal.

Thank you for sharing my love for bacon.

Thank you for staying in with me when everyone else was old enough to go to the casino.

Thank you for accepting that we will be late to everything when we are together.

Thank you for reassuring me that we will be each other's maids of honor.

Thank you for always bringing cornbread to family functions.

Thank you for accepting that my room will never be clean to your standards.

And, thank you for being you. I can't imagine my life without you.

XO