An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Family

An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Family

I have nothing bad to say about you.

439
An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Family

Dear my boyfriend's family,

Last week was our first encounter. On top of that, it was our first vacation. Because of this, it seemed like the perfect time to get some things off my chest.

My family does not do family vacations. We also do not have family meals. My family is far too busy and chaotic to succeed in these normal tasks. I do not mind that my family isn't like that, but I am grateful I was able to experience those things with you.

It was your guy's idea to write my next article about you and yet you seemed anxious for me to publish this. Well, I want you to know I have nothing but great things to say about you. From the second I greeted you on the front porch to the hugs goodbye I enjoyed every moment of this vacation.

I was warned of the sass and sarcasm, and I have to say I loved it. I loved talking the whole car ride to our destination. I love that you guys let me talk about work, and I loved to see you guys all together.

Being a youngest of two sisters it was awesome to see you three sisters interact. I told my boyfriend it was so awesome to see you all relaxed and he responded by saying, “It’s not just the vacation they would be content with just each other.” As he said this there you all were lounging out in the chairs gazing over the beach, and I believed he was right. You all told stories of when you hurt each other and embarrassed each other but you could not help but laugh.

Surviving this experience.

Now do not get me wrong I was beyond nervous on my way to meet you all that morning. I was afraid I would say something stupid or embarrassing. I was afraid I would say something too sarcastic and rub someone the wrong way. I would bet that I am not the only person in a committed relationship that feels this way when meeting their partner's family.

In light of this idea I figured I should add in just three simple tips on getting through this experience smoothly.

First things first, do not be afraid to talk. They want to get to know you so give them what they want. Talk about everything you like to do and what makes you.

Next, do not be afraid to step away from your partner. It looks good if you are willing to spend time with the whole family and not just your partner.

Most importantly, enjoy your trip. This is a vacation for you too, so have fun and relax. I'm sure if your partner has grown to love you so will their family.

Remember this and your family vacation will go great and you will be counting down the days until the next one. I know I am.