An Open Letter To My Mother

An Open Letter To My Mother

Thank you for being my rock.

53
An Open Letter To My Mother
Elizabeth Radley

Mother[muh-th-er]-noun: one person who does the work of twenty. For free.

This life has been a rollercoaster ride, but one thing has always remained constant...YOU. Thank you for your unconditional love, support and guidance throughout my life and for always showing me the way. I couldn't imagine life without you. This one's for you mom. I love you.

Dear mom,

I have learned so much from you and couldn't have made it through my first year of college without you. Although I am only across the bridge, I never thought I'd actually miss you when I was away at school, yet I did. I missed your constant nagging, homemade meals and you driving me around. This year really gave me a greater appreciation for you and all that you do for our family, so thank you.

Thank you for giving Julia and I the best childhood. Thank you for the playdates, jelly bean jungle trips, planning all our summer vacations, the Woodstream and Pheasant Run birthday parties, OLGC fun walks and so much more. The list truly goes on and on. Thank you for putting your career aside for us and making us a priority. Trust me, I know we are a handful but, we would be completely different people if you weren't around when we were younger.

Thank you for showing us the way when things didn't seem like they were ever going to be okay again. During 2011 and 2014, our lives were flipped upside down but, you always seemed to know what to do or say. Thank you for comforting me on those sleepless nights and for being a shoulder to cry on.

Thank you for being my role-model. You have taught me so much about what it means to be a mom, child, sister, aunt, and friend.

As a mom, you are simply the best and I really mean that with all my heart. You have put up with all my craziness and still love me unconditionally. You know my weaknesses and still love me for them. Mom, you put everyone above yourself and I can only hope to be as selfless and wonderful as you one day.

As a child, mom-mom and pop-pop were lucky to have such a hard worker who puts forth her best effort on a daily basis. They were always so proud of you. Pop-pop was very lucky to have you as his caregiver in his final years. Although he couldn't always show it, I knew how grateful he was for you. I know he's looking down on you and smiling.

As a sister, you have shown me how to be supportive and how to be a role-model for Julia. I truly never believed you when you said "your sister will be your best friend." Through all the fights, name-calling, makeup-stealing and advice-giving, Julia is my best friend. Once again (I hate to admit it) but, you were right.

As an aunt, you are like a second mother. You proof-read papers, have girls nights, give the best gifts and are always there to listen and give the best advice. They even called you the "cool" aunt before because of your sick wheels. I still don't believe it, but I guess your pretty cool.

As a friend, you are always willing to go the extra mile. It doesn't matter how long it's been, you are always willing to catch up with an old friend. I have seen you be there for those who didn't deserve it, but your loyalty towards your friends will never change.

"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all." Thank you for showing me the true meaning of family. From the Thanksgiving's at Aunt Regina's to the graduation parties, I cannot imagine my life without our big Irish family. I consider myself so lucky to have been able to grow up with this family. Through the up's and down's I know I can count on everyone no matter what hour of the day it is or where I am. We are all so lucky to be apart of something so special.

Thank you for being my biggest supporter. From the early morning swim meets and practices to the drives to basketball practices and tournaments. Thank you for teaching me what it truly means to work hard. Thank you for teaching me that not everything is given, but rather it is earned. I couldn't imagine going through this crazy life without your support or push to be my best self.

Thank you for listening to me when I just want to scream or cry. Thank you for never judging me. Thank you for giving me advice when I need it the most. Thank you for telling me how it is, even though I don't want to hear it. Thank you for teaching me how to be strong and independent. Thank you for being you.

I am so grateful that we have such a unique relationship and I am so lucky to have such an amazing mother.

Mom, you're my rock, my Caty and my best friend. I would be so lost in this world without you. Thank you for standing by me through my darkest days and being there in my brightest hours. I know I am bad at showing my feelings and I push the people I love the most away, but you've never given up on me and have shown me how to open up. I love you to the moon & back, infinity x infinity

Love,

Elizabeth