A Letter To My Mom Before I Leave For College

I'm going to be OK.

118

Dear Mom,

I would like to start off by letting you know that you are the strongest woman that I know. You are a constant inspiration to me now and forever; here's to that staying the same once I leave in a few weeks.

I know that being who you are, you will constantly worry about me. But I would like to write this and reassure you. I would also like to thank you for 12 years of wake up calls, 40-second breakfasts, and helping me with the lipstick in my teeth. You guided me and even loved me through all of my awkward stages from Bieber fanatic to all around vampire and werewolf lover. I'd like to say I'm normal now but you and I both know I will always be the goofy girl in the 6th grade. The one that you raised to respect others and to remain confident and determined through all of the obstacles in life.

At times you were the only shoulder I had to cry on over my "friends" and that paper I got an 88 on (yup, I'm totally one of those people). I know for a fact I would not have made it through the drama that is high school without you supporting me every step of the way. It also amazed me when I told you that I wanted to be a broadcast journalist and you didn't freak out. Instead, you said, "Can't wait to see you on 7 News."

It should not have surprised me when you were one of the only ones who supported my decision. It had been us against the world for years as you raised me: a single mother after my dad lost his battle with cancer. Oddly enough, I'll probably miss nights just sitting with you enjoying the latest episodes of "Bachelor" and "Riverdale." I'll also miss you doing all of the things that I can't, like take the clothes out of the dryer since I'm barely 5 feet and have to dive in for a pair of pants.

This whole thing is probably a little dramatic, considering I'm not going too far but I know that if you could be my roommate you totally would. Except, I'm not entirely sure that this article or anything will ever be enough to express my appreciation to you. I'd like to thank you for being my best friend, biggest supporter, and laugh after even the longest days. For being front row to ALL of my plays in high school and giving me a standing ovation when I played a guard with 4 lines. I could probably go on forever with this but I'll end with stating the simple fact that I will miss you even though I say that I won't. I guess it is a good thing I taught you how to FaceTime right?

Love, Shell (still your baby and your favorite daughter).