An Open Letter To The High School Senior Who's Preparing To Attend Florida State University

Take it from me, the next four years will be some of your best and worst moments.

214
Personal Photo

I remember what it was like when I first got accepted to Florida State University. I remember the shock and awe of, I can't believe I really got in. Then the excitement hit, I'm going to one of the top schools in Florida with a hint of I don't have to be bossed around by my parents anymore (or as much).

To the incoming freshmen class, you're really in for a wild ride. You're fleeing the nest and the next four or so years are going to be full of crazy times. Leaving home for the first time, especially if you're parents were super strict like mine, can really be a hit or mess. Some people handle the freedom and newfound responsibility really well, and others lose it and get lost. I'm here to help guide you through Tallahassee living and your new life as a #Nole.

The first thing to think about as a new Nole is where you're going to live. Will you be living it up apartment-style or will you get the full freshman experience by dorm living? If I had to be honest, choosing a roommate (and even suitemates) and a dorm is stressful. You don't want to end up with a psycho roommate or someone who never cleans up after themselves. You don't want to end up in a dorm where people are known for getting sick or far away from all of your classes (unless it's worth it).

The number one dorm you should absolutely avoid (if you can) is Salley Hall. I had multiple friends who lived in Salley during their freshman year and got sick multiple times (for long periods of time), but the minute they moved out, their health instantly changed.

Personally, I stayed in McCollum Hall, and while it was far from the central hub of things, I really enjoyed my time there. Don't get me wrong. My first impression of McCollum was that it was old and gross. But after a week or two, my thoughts changed. It used to be an upperclassmen dorm, as it's apartment-style, but they have since opened it up to underclassmen.

You get a two-story apartment-style dorm, with a full-sized fridge, an oven with a stove, a double vanity sink with a huge mirror, an actual bathtub, not one but two living room spaces with a couch, and a balcony.

When it comes to Tallahassee-living, there is an endless amount of things to do. If you're into the partying and club scene, then you have definitely come to the right school. However, if you also love and enjoy nature, there are several parks and trails that will rock your mind, such as St. Mark's Trail. Tallahassee is home to so many different interests and I have no doubt that whatever you're into, you'll find it here.

However, the roads in Tallahassee are truly... trash. I'm from Naples, Florida, where the roads are wide and smoothly-paved. In Tallahassee, the roads are narrow and not smooth... they are the opposite of smooth. Moreover, the hills... endless. I drive a Toyota Corolla, and if I got a dollar for every single time I've scraped the bottom of my car, I'd be a rich girl.

As for food, I promise you won't be disappointed. There are so many restaurants here, both big chains and small, local businesses. I highly suggest joining the Facebook group "Tallahassee Foodies" to not only learn about all the restaurants Tallahassee has to offer, but to also help others find what they're looking for.

One thing that's probably important about Tallahassee living that is worth mentioning is the weather. In the fall, the rain, and the cold weather, are bipolar. In the morning, you'll freeze your butt off, but by early afternoon, you'll be sweating your balls off. It's typical Florida weather. I highly suggest you invest in some good rain boots because trekking up and down throughout campus in tennis shoes gets tiring fast. Also, invest in a good pair of tennis shoes because the campus is huge, full of hills, and you never know how far apart all your classes may be.

One big thing about Florida State is that it's known for being a party school. And while I don't disagree with the fact that a large percentage of the student population loves to party, that's not all that Florida State has to offer. I promise you that if you're someone who doesn't enjoy drinking all night long and blacking out, then you will definitely find your group of friends who hate it too. And the same goes for Greek life. While a majority of the student population may be in a sorority or fraternity, I know my fair share of people who aren't into that type of thing at all. I, myself, am someone who isn't into partying and isn't a part of Greek life, and yet I had a great time and love my friend group.

While I can't give you a comprehensive breakdown of the college life at Florida State University, just know that the next four years will be full of ups and downs. Take it one step at a time and you'll be just fine.

To the Class of 2024... Go Noles!