A Letter from My High-School-Self

A Letter from My High-School-Self

Senior Year of High School to Senior Year of College

187
A Letter from My High-School-Self
Michelle Prizzi

My senior year of High School, I had the option of taking a class called Contemporary Social Issues which was basically an introduction to sociology course. In the beginning of the class, since most of us were seniors, my teach, Mrs. Lucas made us write a letter to ourselves. She said she would mail it to us in four years, as we approached our college graduation.

This week, I received that letter:

I told myself that I hope I was getting my dream job. How naive is that statement? I don't think anyone graduates with their dream job but I loved optimism. I then told myself, if I don't have that job yet, not to worry because I'll get it eventually. This statement made me a little teary eyed. I had so much confidence when I was leaving high school. I was so proud of all I accomplished and the fact that I believed in myself, even then, makes me happy.

I then said, it's time to move on, meaning not only from high school, but from college too. I said "I know you hate change but it's time to leave". I was eager to get out of small town and college felt like a whole big world ahead of me. Now, I'm just as eager to leave Seton Hall. I loved my time here, but I was right, it's time to move on.

The rest of my letter I spent reminding myself of fun times in high school. I listed my friends that I went to the diner with every time we had open block before lunch. I hoped that I would still talk to all of them. I only talk to four of the ten or so that I listed. But honestly, those four friends are life long friends and I couldn't imagine my life without them. People lose touch. I'm so happy to have four incredible people still in my life.

I spent most of the letter talking about my best friend, Sydney, and all of the fun we had. She made high school bearable. I reminded myself of all the trips we took together, like when we went to the thousand islands. We had this cute waiter and she left a note before we left that we thought he was cute and then spent the rest of the trip hoping we wouldn't run into him while we walked around the small town. This part of the letter made me smile. Sydney is still my best friend on this planet. She's helped me through hard times and laughed with me through the good times. I consider myself so lucky to have someone like that in my life. I go about my day and I know that no matter what happens, she's got my back and I got hers. Her friendship meant so much me then, but it means more to me now. Our friendship didn't just last the hell that was middle school and high school, it also lasted college. How amazing is that?

Overall, I'm happy to received my letter. My high-school-self was naive and optimistic but she was confident that I would get where I wanted to go and I am too. I don't think she ever thought about attending graduate school but that is in my long term plan now. I'm happy she told me that it was time to move on, because it is. I'm also so happy she reminded me of all the fun I had and all the friends but I'm extraordinarily proud that my best friend then is still my best friend now. You can't buy friendship like that. Thank you, Mrs. Lucas, for keeping your promise and sending my letter just when I needed it.