A Letter From An Aspiring World Traveller: It's Time To Stop Stereotyping

Just because other countries are different than America, does not mean they are wrong.

241

"You're going into terrorist country"

"You're going to get robbed"

"They don't have air conditioning"

"It's so dangerous"

I have travelled a lot for a 19 year old and I am very thankful. I can't stand to stay in the same place for long so I am hoping to travel for work one day. On my next trip, I am going to Morocco and no one seems to be excited or supportive of my trip because of stereotypes. So from an aspiring world traveler: please take the stick out of your ass, get on a plane, and go experience what this world has to offer.

I have had people Google Morocco to tell me that it has a large Muslim population. To me, this just seems like a simple fact because Morocco and its surrounding countries are predominately Muslim. But to these people who approached me, it meant that I was heading into "terrorist country".

This idea that all Muslims are terrorists is a bit old. The Muslim population is a lot larger than the Islamic extremist population that we associate them with. You don't see Muslim children going to school or playing outside because that doesn't make for interesting headlines.

Some people seem to think that because they go to a resort in some country that they have travelled. But travel is about way more than simply going somewhere. If you've gone to an Americanized resort in some country how is that any different than going somewhere in America? Travel is about the food, the culture, the people, and the memories.

For whatever reason, there is this idea that just because countries are different than ours means they are worse off or dangerous. Just because people have different skin colors, religious beliefs, and cultures, does not mean they are wrong.

I am unbelievably excited to travel to Morocco and eat tagine, drink tea, and ride a camel. I don't want to live my life in one place with a closed off mind set. I have a heart for the world and I want to experience all it has to offer. I am tired of being told that where I am traveling to is dangerous and that I might die. Honestly, look how many shootings happen in America every day. I'm probably safer when I travel out of the country.

So no, I will not try to tell you what to believe. But I suggest you learn about a country and go visit. Go to a farmers market and avoid the touristy destinations. Put down your phone and experience something new, something real. Life is too short to be afraid.