A Letter To My Friends Who Moved Away For College

Why I couldn't do what you did.

19
Adam's Moving Service

Dear _____________,

I can't believe how brave you are- to move away from home, from your parents, from your family and friends, all to continue your education in a foreign place.

I wasn't brave. I wasn't ready. And to be honest, I don't know if I will be ready in another two years. I don't know if I'll be strong enough to pack up my life, and move-however far- to continue learning, working, and living on my own. And that's why I'm so proud of you, because it takes strength, encouragement, support, and bravery to move away from everything you've known just to go to school.

I cannot imagine not coming home to my parents and sister every night, getting to see their faces and hear their voices. I cannot imagine not being able to sleep in my own bed, and feel comfort from this. I cannot imagine not knowing my away around the community, and not seeing familiar buildings and streets. And this isn't because I'm some homesick little girl who isn't capable of living on my own and being an adult- because I am. And in two years when I complete my bachelors degree I'll have to move to a big city university somewhere far away. But for now, I want to cherish the time that I have while still living at home. Because I'm selfish, and life is long and I'm sure the time will come when I make adult decisions and move out and pay bills by myself. But I just wasn't brave enough, I wasn't ready to make that move, fresh out of high school at 18 years old.

But you were. And you successfully packed up your life and your accomplishments and your struggles and shoved them into a college dorm room, with a roommate, and began a life of independence. I admire you for that. And I'm so incredibly impressed by that, I'm proud of your bravery and independence and courageous character- because you were able to do something that I couldn't.

And now, when I sit and talk with my friends from other cities, states, and even countries, I cannot fathom the immense sense of homesickness they must feel. I cannot imagine not being able to drive twelve minutes down the road to see my parents when I'm having a really shitty day. And so I'm here for you friend, I'm here when you need someone to listen or talk to. I'm here to be the support you need when you feel the push to go home even though you can't. Because you were brave enough to move out, and that is already more than I could as a teenager.

So here's to friends you have your back, you'll need them the most when your "on your own" in college.