A Letter For My Parents

A Letter For My Parents

Thank you for everything.

23
A Letter For My Parents
Angela DeGenova

I argue with my parents all the time. I’ll give them attitude and I’ll be stubborn. I’ll complain about the list of chores they leave on the counter, and I’ll roll my eyes when they ask me to wash the dishes. I’ll pick a fight with them over nothing and won’t talk to them for a day.

But my parents are my world.

Its something I’ll never admit directly to them because I’m their stubborn child, but I love them to death. They have done so much for me over the years, so much that I’ll never be able to return the favor. Now I’m sitting here realizing that I have no problem pointing out to them what they are doing wrong in my opinion, but I never seem to thank them for all they do.

So Mom, Dad, this ones for you.

Thank you for teaching me to be independent. I know I complained about all the times that you made me be on my own. Whenever you would make me call places, pay for my own stuff, or figure out issues on my own I always had something to say. I would accuse you of something along the lines of hating me, being the worst parent ever, or that other peoples parents were different. But, regardless of all the negative comments I made towards you, you held your ground and now I finally understand why. You were teaching me to be my own person and not rely on others for help. I’ve grown a lot as a person over the years and as this was happening I have realized that people you trust will hurt you and come in and out of your life. But I also realized that I’m capable of getting through all this. Luckily, I have parents who prepared me to be independent and comfortable on my own in life. Not everyone had this, but thankfully I did.

Thank you for loving me, regardless of how I’ve acted in the past. I definitely have not been the best child while growing up. I was far from easy to put up with, but you both still did it. I cried, I fought, I started trouble, but you still loved me through it all. Even during the hardest years when I said nothing but mean things to you and hurt you, you were still there. This is something I’ll never be able to thank you enough for. You had every right to dislike me at certain points in my life, I still don’t understand how you did it, it really is amazing. I treated you both like crap at points, and yeah you got mad at me but you never left me and you never stopped loving me no matter what.

Thank you for teaching me to be my own person. In a world full of stereotypes and trends, you helped teach me that being myself is the best version of me I could be. You let me go through all my awkward phases in life and figure out who I am. You didn’t force me to be a specific way; instead you encouraged me to embrace all the unique qualities about me. You have supported me throughout everything in my life and helped to shape me into the person that I am today.

Thank you for being you. You truly are the best parents out there. You never tried to be my best friend growing up and let me get my way; instead you worked to be the best parents. You’re full of positive energy and always have hope that everything will be okay. You’re generous and always welcome my friends into our home and treat them as if they are your own. You’re honest and let me know if you do not agree with something I am doing. You’re funny, although I don’t like to admit it, and always keep me laughing. You’re all this and so much more than I could have ever asked for.

So thank you for all you do. I know it hasn’t been very easy getting to where we are today, but I’m thankful that we have. Just know that this letter only represents a few of the main lessons that you have taught me over the years and I’m sure there are more to come. Also, next time I’m being stubborn or getting on your last nerve just remember this amazingly nice article I wrote for you. Love you both forever and always.