Hi my loves, this letter is for you. I remember being 12 years old and my teacher gave me a book so I can think and value life more. The book was filled with quotes from Black women to inspire the young and Black me. As you continue to grow, you will face different obstacles in your life, and there will be times you'll want to throw in the towel, don't. Don't give up, you have a gift. Though your gift isn't visible at the moment, it exists. You’re placed on this earth for a reason. From changing the environment to renovating communities to better fit Black people. Though my book is currently missing, I found the same ten quotes my teacher shared with me as a kid that I'll now share with you to inspire you to be great.
So, here we go sisters, top ten quotes made by black women, made for you:
10. "Greatness is not measured by what a man or woman accomplishes, but by the opposition he or she has overcome to reach his goals." - Dorothy Height
9."Struggle is a never-ending process. Freedom is never really won, you earn it and win it in every generation." - Coretta Scott King
8. "We have to talk about liberating minds as well as liberating society." - Angela Davis
7."I really don't think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don't mind the failure but I can't imagine that I'd forgive myself if I didn't try." - Nikki Giovanni
6."I did my best, and God did the rest." - Hattie McDaniel
5. "Don't agonize, organize."- Florynce Kennedy
4. "The thing that makes you exceptional, if you are at all, is inevitably that which must also make you lonely." - Lorraine Hansberry
3. "Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts." - Nikki Giovanni
2. "What God intended for you goes far beyond anything you can imagine." - Oprah Winfrey
1. "Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." - Harriet Tubman
Now that you've read that, it's time to shine and inspire others. Whenever you doubt yourself, I want you to read this and never give up on your dreams.
Your big sister, Jaydlyn