An Open Letter To The Person Who Broke My Heart

It gets better

20586
r.h Sin

To the person who broke my heart...

Thank you. Not what you expected me to say, right? At first, when you broke my heart I thought it was the worst thing that could possibly happen to me. When it happened, it felt like the air around me was limited and it was becoming more and more difficult to breathe. I could actually feel my heart breaking and it hurt so bad. I thought to myself "I wouldn't wish this on anyone." But to tell you the truth, now I think everyone should go through a heartbreak at least once in their life.

Having your heart broken by someone you love makes you realize so many things you may not have realized before. Having your heart broken is a valuable lesson in disguise, and one I most definitely benefited from. So, to the person who broke my heart, thank you.

Thank you for making me realize that just because someone SAYS they care about you, doesn't mean they actually do. Thank you for making me realize that I DO NOT need you. Thank you for making me realize that just because YOU weren't able to see my worth, does not mean I am worthless. Because of you I now know to trust actions over words.

I know that being independent is so much better than being reliant on someone. I know that I am worth it and I should only accept what I think I deserve (which is a whole lot more than what you were offering). I was able to realize all these things because of you, the person who broke my heart.

I know you expected me to write about how much I hate you, but I won't do that. How could I hate someone who at one point was my whole world, and who I shared so many great memories with? But more importantly, how could I hate someone who made me realize all these important things? I wish nothing, but good things for you. Because although you hurt me, you helped me grow as a person. After my heart was broken I changed, but I changed for the better. I am now a better person because of you.

Sincerely,

The person whose heart you broke

P.S.

To the people who just recently got their heart broken and haven't reached these realizations yet, I promise you, you will. And when you do, it will be the best feeling in the world. It's like you can finally breathe again after drowning for so long. So hang in there because, things do get better.