The Diary Of Your Fluffy Friend

The Diary Of Your Fluffy Friend

It's more than the belly rubs and steak.

14
The Diary Of Your Fluffy Friend
Melanie Goldsmith

Moving away from home and moving in to a college dorm is a transition many of us make in our lives. We hug our parents and siblings as they send us off and wish us luck on our journeys, but there is one member of the family who gets the biggest hug of all: our dogs. We talk to our families as much as we can, and when we visit we catch up on everything that's been happening in each other's lives. We never know, though, what it is like for our pet dogs when we leave. If we could know, it might be a little something like this.

Before move-in day:

Hello! My name is Oscar and I've been living with you for my whole life! You feed me, walk me, pet me, and most importantly, you love me. What more could a dog ask for?! When you are away at work and school, I get some nice alone time to sleep and play with all the toys my you buy me! My favorite part of being with you is watching you get taller and older but still loving me just as much as you did when you were little! Everything is great except one thing; you are leaving me.

I can see you pack up all your bags, and I watch your parents' faces as they grow more and more somber every day because they know you won't be their little girl for much longer. You hug me extra tight when we are together, and you even cry sometimes when you see me. You take lots of pictures of me (trust me, I know I'm cute), and you drop me a little more food than usual from the dinner table. While all of this is great, I feel sad about you leaving also.

Two months after move-in day:

It' been two months since I've seen you last, and let me tell you, it has been the longest 2 months of my life! Mom and dad don't give me as much food from the table as you do, so I'm forced to eat the brown pebbles they put out for me, even when I beg for a piece of their freshly cooked steak. I see them looking at your baby pictures a lot, and I have even seen your brother cry (but don't tell him I told you that)! I can't wait for the day you come home. I'm not sure when it will be, but I know it will happen some day. I just know it.

One week before Summer break:

Today, your parents are excited about something! They have been excited for a couple of weeks now, and I can tell because they are giving me more treats than usual! They are cleaning the house and decluttering your room! Could this mean that you are finally coming home?! I sure hope so!

Coming home for summer:

Oh boy! Today was the happiest day of my life! Mom took me out for a walk, and surprised me with a trip in a moving metal box! I even got to stick my head out the window and feel the wind rush in my face! We ended up at an even bigger metal box with thousands of people in it! Everyone was rushing around, and I was very confused, when all of a sudden, you appeared! It was really you! You ran up to me and gave me a million kisses and a 4-hour hug! I knew that so many meals of steak were coming, and I could not be happier. You held me the whole ride home, and I know that you are here to stay. I can't wait to spend every day with you, and make sure that you never leave me again! I love you.