A Letter To The Exhausted College Student

I promise that you will get through it.

256
The U Post

To the exhausted college student:

It's just the beginning of the semester, and things are already starting to hit hard. Homework assignments, projects, and quizzes start to pile up by the day. Slowly you start to wonder how you're even going to make it through this semester--but you're tough. You will push through, you will get those grades you want, and you will succeed. You will probably be exhausted, but you will do it. For those of you that are already at that exhausted point--here's some advice for you.

Eat healthy. Keep your body hydrated. It's hard to do when you are running from class to class and locking yourself in the library, I know. But if you try your hardest, I guarantee it will pay off in the end. By fueling your body with good foods and staying hydrated you will feel more awake and have more energy on those crazy busy days.

Work out. Your body is a machine, and that machine is going to keep you going through each and every day this semester. By keeping your body in shape you are helping it along the way. Plus, workout time is a great time for a mental break from all that homework.

Speaking of making time for mental breaks, be sure to take a few minutes sometimes to relax. I know it's hard when you feel like you have 1,001 things to do and more gets added every day, but take time for your friends. Watch one episode on Netflix. Color, knit, take a quick nap, whatever it may be that can help you relax and take a second to breathe. However, don't use these things to procrastinate, or you will really regret it later.

Be sure, in the midst of all of the madness that is your life for the next four months, that you are taking the time to get a good night's sleep. Without a good amount of sleep, your body will be even more exhausted each day and it will be so much harder to get through everything that you need to. To keep yourself on top of your game and in a healthy state of mind, try to get some sleep each night.

Take things one day at a time, one step at a time. Don't stress yourself out with things that are so far in advance on the syllabus that haven't even been discussed yet. By taking your day one step at a time and focusing on getting through each thing before worrying about the next, things will seem a lot less overwhelming and stressful.

Now, breathe. Chances are this isn't the first time that you have had a busy semester, and it certainly will not be the last. However, if it is your first time dealing with the craziness, I promise you will get through it just as so many other college students have done before you. This semester will not be the end of the world. You will get the grades you work for, you will have time for you, and the best part? Once it's done, you have some time off to relax. Now, exhausted college student, go out there and kick this semester's butt. You can do it!