A Letter To The Boy(friend) Who Became My Best Friend

Thank you for never being the reason I cry.

8676
Unsplash

It’s not easy. I’m not easy. I am up and down. I’m emotional and needy and clingy. I require constant reassurance. I exaggerate and I underappreciate. I screw up my words and I ask too many questions I am passionate and outspoken. But you have never walked out. It hasn’t been long, but I can’t imagine a day when you won’t be there for me. From day one you have been my friend first, and I appreciate the hell out of that. You are my boyfriend by title, but in my heart, you are my best friend.

In such a short time so many things have happened and you have stuck around throughout them all. Job loss, hospitalization, illness, family loss... not one of those has driven you away. I know it can’t be easy always having to be my rock, my shoulder to cry on, but thank you. You make everything worthwhile. I could be having a horrible day at work, and you are always there with positive reinforcements and a hug.

I never thought when we first met that you would become such an important part of my life, but here we are. You have changed my attitude in so many ways. I have grown up. I have come out of my shell. You have opened me up to so many different experiences. You cheer me on, you lift me up, you brighten my day, and you love me at night. You make me so proud to call you my boyfriend, but you’re so much more to me than that. I can’t imagine a day going by without talking to you, now. Even on our bad days, you are always the first person I want to see. There is nothing about you that I don’t love (except maybe your choice of living arrangements... you’re too far!).

You are kind. You are respectful. You are genuine. There has never been a day when I questioned whether you truly wanted to keep doing this with me. I am so attracted to you, but it has never just been a physical thing for me. You are calm. You are passionate. You are protective. We can talk for hours and jump around from topic to topic in one conversation; I never get bored of you. You are so accepting and understanding and open to new things, different things around you. You let me fall. But you have always been there with a hand to pick me back up (literally and figuratively). Everything about you is strong. Your will, your determination, your abilities, your drive.

So thank you. Thank you for being the guy that I can trust with my heart. Thank you for being the guy who is always there for me. Thank you for teaching me and helping me. Thank you for listening and understanding. Thank you for being the guy that my dad likes, whom he trusts. Thank you for all of the smiles and laughs and memories. Thank you for the hockey dates. Thank you for the puppy kisses. Thank you for never being the reason I cry. Thank you for being you, and thank you for never asking me to be anyone else but me. Thank you for being my boyfriend, but thank you more for being my best friend.