A Letter To My Big Sister On Her Birthday

Happy birthday, best friend. I love you.

83258

On this day, 24 years ago, you were born. (WOW, you are OLD!) Although I was not born for three more years (probably the longest three years of your life), February 19, 1993 is one of my favorite days. Why? Because it was the day the world was lucky enough to have you in it.

You are my best friend. You may have an R.B.F but you’re not as miserable as you look. You are funny. You are smart. You are sassy. You may be tough, but you have a heart of gold. You are loving and kind and genuine. With all these traits, you have helped me become who I am. You are my big sister. I have always looked up to you. I have learned so much from you. I learned how to be confident. I learned how to be strong. I learned how to (try to) chase what I want. I learned how to be dedicated. I learned how to be tough.

Thank you for always being there when I need you to be. Thank you for being reliable. Thank you for always buying me food and coffee (I’ll never be able to repay you). Thank you for always listening to me. Thank you for being a great example to look up to. Thank you for being the best big sister I could have ever asked for. Thank you for being my best friend.

As NEEDTOBREATHE and Gavin DeGraw once said, “And on those days when the sky begins to fall, you’re the blood of my blood. We can get through it all.” Every time I hear this lyric, I am amazed at how much it relates to us. It is so comforting knowing that no matter what happens in this crazy life, I will always have you by my side.

Happy birthday to you, best friend. I love you.

P.S. I hope you cried reading this.