A Letter To My High School Best Friends

A Letter To My High School Best Friends

You know who you are.

581
A Letter To My High School Best Friends
Madeleine Kriech

Hi there friends,

So this is it--we've almost completed our first year in college. That means we've been a part for about a year. The first thing I would like to say is I miss you. Why are you all so far away? Second, as I write this, I'm listening to the playlist I made us. If you know, you know (Remember when you all made those slideshows and we were crying in Psych watching them? What a good day.) Third, this letter is just for you (and everyone else on the internet).

As we all have moved on to the next chapter in our lives, I haven't forgotten you guys. I often wonder what it would be like if you all came to college with me. I watch your Snapchat stories and like your Instagram posts and am so glad that you all seem to be doing amazing things. Although I see your faces everyday though my phone screen, I miss giving you all big bear hugs everyday like we haven't seen each other in 10 years, even though we had seen each other the previous period.

It makes me sad that I'll never be able to know EXACTLY what your life is like now. Sure, I get your life updates, but I'm not there. I don't know your schedule or what your professors are like or how the food is at your school. I don't know the face of that random guy in your class that you're in love with. I can't help you pick out an outfit for your presentation. I wish I knew your new friends. I wish you knew my new friends.

I'll never exactly understand what life is like on your campus, no matter how many times you describe it to me. A huge part of your life is now missing from mine and that hurts a little. It hurts to know that I can't always be there for you when you need me. It sucks wanting to show you something, but you're not by my side. I feel lonely when I go home for the weekend and you're not there to hang out with. I may not physically be there for you, but please know that I'll always be there for you.

I've been thinking about you guys recently. It's kinda like a "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" scenario. I thought that I wanted to start completely over, but I need you in my life still. We laughed so much and shared so many stories: classes, musicals, car rides, dances, sleepovers, bonfires--the list goes on and on.

Sure, our relationship wasn't perfect. We fought--sometimes hard--about small things and big things. Sometimes you irritated the crap out of me. We've been scared for each other; worrying if the other person has made the "right" decisions (whatever that is). Through it all, however, we've seemed to come out as friends.

You're not the group I pictured as a kid; I pictured the as-seen-on-tv trio of one dude and two girls who did everything together. But, instead there are a lot of you and it's better than I imaged. Our high school experience was one that is worth doing over again (although, I doubt any of us would actually like to go back). There isn't one way to do high school, but I'd say how we did it was spot on.

To my theatre friends directly; you are my family. I miss the late nights and crazy rehearsals we shared. I would trade anything in the world to share another moment on stage with you; to sing another song; to hit all the steps of the dance. Those moments are the ones I wished I cherished more.

I'll never forget bawling my eyes out at your senior choir concert. I'll never forget saying goodbye to you on stage for the final time. I'll never forget screaming our heads off during football games (and cheering for the cheer team more than anything). I'll never forget our rendition of "The Cell Block Tango." I'll never forget driving really fast in your car with the windows rolled down blasting music. I'll never forget senior sunrise and sunset.

I'll never forget coming into my house and you were hiding in my room. I'll never forget "Honey, I'm home!" I'll never forget Vladimir. I'll never forget you screaming in my window and scaring me at 11 pm. I'll never forget you kidnapping me and taking me to a haunted corn maze even though it was closed. I'll never forget "Dayman" or "The Boobie Pokey." I'll never forget my best friends. I'll remember it all.

Thank you for the memories. I'm proud of us for starting our new adventures, even though we are all apart. I'll see you soon.

Love always,

Madeleine

P.S. I think the Village Inn staff is forgetting about us... let's not let that happen.