A Letter To Anyone Who Gets To Live In A Sorority House

Living in a mansion with your friends is everything it lived up to be

311

First off, congratulations. Living in house is the happiest memory from my sorority experience. While it's not all fun and games, living in a mansion with your closest friends is one of the most fun experiences you can have. Here's what I have to say about living in house:

You get to live with your best friends and future bridesmaids. Whether they're down the hall or your roommate, you'll get to be with them every day. You get to have dance parties in the rooms, sing in the shower together, get ready for socials together, and so much more. Every closet is available to borrow clothes from. When you have a bad day, your friends are right next door to go cuddle with. When it's 2:23 am on a Tuesday you have people to go to Taco Bell with. If you want to watch Netflix with someone there are a hundred girls to choose from. Watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette will never be the same because there will be girls from every year watching in the same rude making snide comments and jokes during the commercials. Every second of that will be something to smile about.

Every meal you eat will be with family. Not only are you getting food that tastes way better than the dining halls, you'll be sitting with your friends every time telling funny stories, complaining about the day, describing the weird dream you had last night. Be careful though because the food tastes great for a reason, you will gain weight if you eat too much of it.

It will be loud. There's a bunch of girls living in one place together, it's bound to happen. Sometimes it will be when you're taking a nap, but it's something you will get used to quickly. It will be from girls getting home late at night running up and down the halls screaming and laughing; sometimes that will be you. The bathrooms will have music playing anytime someone showers or gets ready to go out, but you will be singing and dancing right along to the music. You will hear people walking up and down the hallways, listening to Netflix in their rooms, and everything in between.

Your friends may change, and that's ok. Living in house means that all the girls in your year are now living with you. You meet girls you haven't meet before, and suddenly you wonder how you could have gone a lifetime without knowing them. You'll make new friends and you may grow apart from some old, but that's life and there's nothing wrong with that.

People will constantly come and go from your room. Whether it's your big coming to hang in your room in between her classes, your littles coming up to take a nap, girls coming to get ready with you, or people just stopping by to talk you will be interacting with girls a lot.

Things will get stolen from you. It may be food or it may be clothes, but eventually, it's going to happen to you. It's really frustrating and you're going to get upset about it, which is 100% reasonable. Just don't be the sister that steals because when people find out, they will not be happy with you.

Looking back on the time I had living in house was what made my sophomore year at college so memorable. It brings you closer to your friends, and gives you a place to go home to every day. Don't take that for granted, treat your house with respect and love, and have an amazing time living in house.