An Open Letter To The Class Of 2016

An Open Letter To The Class Of 2016

Things are about to change.

5
An Open Letter To The Class Of 2016
omegafi.com

Dear Class of 2016 Graduates,

Congratulations! The day you've been waiting for is finally here. Years of petty girl drama, nasty school lunch food and pointless group projects are finally over. A lot of you have already committed to a college, and will be moving out into the real world in the fall. It's very exciting; however, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.

College is a lot different than high school. You will have freedom that you've never had before. You will no longer have your mom there to wake you up and make you go to school, or remind you to do your homework- it's all on you.

Naps are important. While college isn't the everyday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. schedule that you've been used to for years, it still gets busy. One of the most important lessons you will learn is the value of naps. All-nighters aren't a good idea when you have an 8 a.m. class the next morning, so sleep any time you get the chance. It keeps you happy and healthy.

Partying isn't everything. Just because movies show crazy drunk college kids doesn't mean that you have to be one. Keep your eye on the prize, and don't get yourself in trouble.

Studying is important. When I was in high school, very rarely did I have to study. In college, you learn very quickly that studying and doing things outside of class is what gets you through the class.

College is like a fresh start- you will meet new people, live in a new city and will get the chance to go to and see lots of new things. Get involved in things. You may find a new interest that you've never had before.

You will meet your closest friends in college. There will be people from different cities, states and even countries. Take time to socialize so that you can meet these people.

Set goals. It's never too early to start thinking about your future. College is the time to get serious and think about what you want to do with your life.

Learn that it's okay to not be an overachiever. You will most likely make a B or even a C in college. It happens. Understand that this is totally different than high school, and the classes are going to be harder.

The freshman 15 is real. Although things are new and exciting, it's still important to keep your body and mind healthy.

Have fun. They say that college is the best years of your life, and that's true. Meet new people, get involved in new things, go out on Friday nights and discover new restaurants or hangouts.

Many doors are opened to you, it's just your job to walk through them.

Good luck with the next chapter of your life!

Sincerely,

A Current College Student