Let's Talk About Prince Charming, Again!

There's a prince charming and then there's Prince Charming.

30
Mirror Online

You’ve heard the spiel numerous times, I’m assuming, ladies (and men-- I don’t pre-judge): Prince Charming is out there! You will find him! He exists! Love is love! Wait for him! Prince Charming will come!

I’m not sure if I’m feeling it.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I don’t believe in settling. I know that I’m going to be stuck with whoever I marry for the rest of my life even after divorce. You’re still stuck with them. So why do you settle?

Is it because your binary clock is ticking down and you want children? Adoption. Or is it because you fear you’ll die alone? YOLO. Or is it because we’re told that if we’re not married by 30, we should just get cats? Some of us are allergic to cats. We’re… what are we? Women are sluts, prudes and eventual spinsters.

In my normal life, I would tell you if you want a fish, go get a fish. There are so many out there. And if that one dies, there is another. There is always another. Or in my normal feminist life, I would say “You don’t need no man! You’re an independent woman!” Whatever works for you.

However, let’s talk about Prince Charming... again. There are so many articles to read about Prince Charming and telling you to wait for him-- he’s out there. And, yeah, you know what, he probably is. Wait for him or don’t wait for him. You do you.

But let’s be honest about Prince Charming. We all got different ones.

I look at someone and think to myself: What? That?

Well, yes, because someone likes that.

And other people look at what I like and think, Really?

Yeah, I'm feeling it today.

We all like different things, and we all know what we want. Some of us might be more open; some of us not so much. I’m not saying be rude, but have an idea what you want. What do you like? What do you need to survive? It’s more than food, water and shelter to survive. You always need more.

For me, I prefer someone who doesn’t drink a lot of alcohol. You can’t smoke weed. You need to be chill but not weed worthy. I want to go on adventures. I want a sense of humor; if you’re stoic, you better run faster than Edward Cullen. I would prefer if you like sports and like to read, and you like to help people. You’re not obsessed with things, because that's me. You can't be a bad boy, but you can't be a goody-goody. I want someone who is able to breathe when I cannot (metaphor there, not reality). As for looks, be taller than me. I’m a tall female, and I’ve always dreamed about reaching up to Prince Charming. I’m not asking for a foot difference or a basketball player. I have no problem if you’re my height (six feet if you’re wondering) or just a few inches taller. I’ve been on dates with shorter guys, and it’s fine. But I can’t do that for the rest of my life.

Does that sound shallow? To some of you, yes it does. To others, no. I’m not asking for a lot. I don’t care what else you look like because you’re making me laugh. I want that; I want to laugh and travel. I don’t know what else I like to look at. Maybe I would like a butt to grab, but even that is negotiable. I don’t care about eye color or hair color. My type is height. I see a guy who is tall, I like you.

Has that gotten me in trouble? Yes, because for some reason some tall guys will go for short girls. I would like to tell you, back and neck problems are coming your way, dudes.

When we were little girls and little boys, we say Prince Charming on our screens, and he was in our books. He should be out there, and he is. Nowadays, with loneliness, we have to be more creative on finding Prince Charming, which means we pick celebrities to fill those open spots.

As for Prince Charming, let me use a well known male for example: Prince Harry.

Am I only using Prince Harry because I’m personally obsessed with him? My Prince Harry fanfiction on Wattpad would agree, as well as the many people who have read my fanfictions. But Prince Harry is well known and attractive. And if you disagree, you need to get your priorities in order.

Prince Harry, I know enough about him, not because I’ve stalked in on all websites dedicated to him, but Google is my friend. I know his birth date and fun stories about him. I know him as a party prince and a hard worker. Besides that, I don’t know much. I have created Prince Harry to be Prince Charming in my head.

Prince Harry laughs at all my jokes, and he’s always there for me. He’s calm under pressure. He understands that sometimes I just need to talk it out. We like some of the same music and movies. He doesn’t have to read but he understands why I like reading. He watches sports with me. He has a love of dogs. He has a wonderful sense of humor that meshes well with mine, somewhat sarcastic and sassy. (Only one of us can be sassy all the time.) He doesn’t pressure me to have sex or do things that are dangerous. He loves to travel. He wants to help people. He has my political views. He understands my love of schedules and sleeping. According to Google, Prince Harry is six feet and two inches, so he’s taller than me.

I have created the perfect man for me. And is he out there? Hopefully, or I’ll be disappointed. I think of all the males around me, all the dates I’ve been on, and I know I could’ve thought about loving them. Did they tick off all the boxes? Not really, and some of them literally went the other direction. But I know what I want. I know what I need. I will get it.

I probably won't get Prince Harry, but a girl can dream!

Go on dates and try new things, but remember Prince Charming. Make that list and know what you want. And don’t let the list go. It’ll evolve because you evolve, but know what you need. And if someone cannot give that to you, they’re not worth it.

Find that Prince Charming and be a little crazy, because in truth, you’re probably their princess. And if you aren’t, they certainly aren’t your Prince Charming, so get another. There’s always another.

(Call me, Prince Harry.)