Let's Get Involved

Let's Get Involved

Breaking out of your comfort zone to try something new

7
Let's Get Involved
sujanpatel.com

My senior year of high school i was told my countless amounts of people to get involved when i go off to college. Of how important it is to be well-rounded, to build a resume to look good and memorable for jobs. It seemed that everyone was rushing me from one thing to another. In high school it was be involved to look like a good prospect for colleges. Now that i am in college, many people are asking me what i am involved in to build my resume for jobs applications.

This world is moving so fast, everyone moving quickly (and hopefully smoothly) from one stage of life to the next. We try to think ahead to what colleges or jobs will look for, how will this benefit me later. In the midst of all of this i think we are all losing sight of the true importance and basic principle behind getting involved. To ENJOY it. Yes, it is wonderful to get involved in community service projects. And yes, seeing that you care about your community and volunteer your time to others will make you look appealing and stand out some on your resume. At the heart of it though you must enjoy it.

My first semester of college i was involved but not whole-heartedly. I wrote for the school paper but i did not attend the in person meetings, instead i would wait for the email run down and write an article based from that. I love hiking, rocking and other outdoor activities and yet i did not join the outdoors club at school until my sophomore year. We cannot always wait to jump into something. You cannot always find a friend who wants to join with you, but if you are truly interested and passionate you should go by yourself and try it anyway. You will never know what you may be good at, what you may really enjoy or what fantastic friends you may meet until you put yourself out there.

Not everything will go perfectly, you may embarrass yourself and there certainly will be awkward moments. But this is COLLEGE. This is the time to have the opportunity to try the things that interest you, the things that may become life long hobbies. Campus provides so many clubs ranging from culture groups to sports to "exotic" things such as Tae Kwon Do that you may not have the resources to try at another time.

College is the perfect place to expand your horizons to get your feet wet and try new things, step out of your comfort zone.There are the options the time is now. You cannot always depend on someone you know who you are comfortable with to be there with you to hold your hand. Get involved and make some new lifelong friends, memories and experiences. LET'S GET INVOLVED!