I Just Want To Help You

I Just Want To Help You

Open ears, open heart.

20
I Just Want To Help You
Braeden McElmury

My name is Chloe McElmury and I just want to help people on the Internet.

I know I'll never be able to help anyone like a doctor or scientist could. I know those aren't my strong suits.

However, I can't help this overwhelming passion to help. I'm called "mom" a lot by my friends, but it's more than that. I see those around me struggling with mental insecurities and I can't help but want and need to reach out. I have 110 percent been there, and I know it gets better. I know the mindset you get; the feeling that you can't escape it.

I just want to help people. I want to help people expose their authentic selves. I don't believe in "safe spaces", but I want my company to be a safe space to those who let it. It physically pains me to see those I care about hurting, silently or not. Knowing they put up a smiling facade but are clawing themselves up inside. I'm too empathetic not to.

I'm so fortunate to use writing to help people. I can be my honest self, writing about depression and loneliness. If I can make just one person feel not alone, I've done my job. Feeling alone, like no one could possibly understand how you feel, is terrible. It's completely awful. It puts you down a path where you're afraid to reach out to anyone; afraid they'll think you're crazy or overreacting or being selfish. You close yourself off or only remain open to a select few.

I love the honesty of humanity. The tears, the fears, the mindset of each and every individual I meet. It's okay to be messy sometimes. Our emotions can be all over the place. As a friend of mine once said, it's important to recognize that emotions simply move throughus. They are temporary and not necessarily representative of our true selves.

I just want to help people on the Internet, thorough my honest words. I hope it sinks in and reaches the people it needs to. If you are struggling with anything, reach out. It's a hell of a scary first step, but there's someone who will listen and care. Until then, I'll keep trying to write about the honest issues that plague my life, in the unfortunate hopes they haunt yours too. Let me know if there's anything in particular you want to know my thoughts on.

Find my other articles about mental health:

Depression

Loneliness

Loving yourself

College life