Let Malia Obama Be A Regular College Student

Would you want everything you did in college ending up as a headliner?

We all do questionable things in college, we can all at least admit that. However, imagine if everything you did became a headline on TMZ or People Magazine? Think about having your privacy ripped away from you simply because you have a famous parent or both parents are well know. You could not even move into your college dorm without being attached by people wanting your picture. It makes me, and I hope whoever reads this, feel uncomfortable and panicked that everything you do can be a headline to the point where your friends cannot even help because that funny snapchat you took is now all over social media.That feeling is how the tabloids and we the American public make Malia Obama feel and it needs to stop.

I have seen the video of Malia blowing smoke rings and I have seen videos of my friends on Snapchat doing the exact same thing, the difference is none of them are the daughter of former president Barack Obama. Which makes it is no where near as big of a deal. Malia is just trying to live her life in college with as much normalcy as she can get, so why do we not give her even a little? I am happy that she gets to experience what we all experience, but I hate and sympathize for her that she cannot do it the way the rest of us can.

Ivanka Trump TweetWe can never understand what it is like until we are in the shoes of someone like Malia Obama. Since the video of her blowing smoke rings and the pictures of her kissing a boy at the Yale-Harvard game tailgate came out (which is something many college students have done), former first daughter Chelsea Clinton and the first daughter Ivanka Trump have posted on twitter saying we should respect Malia's privacy and not exploit her for out enjoyment.

Chelsea Clinton's Tweet

There is so much going on in the world we can be focusing newscasting on instead of Malia Obama's college life. Isis just recently posted a picture of Santa holding dynamite in Times Square threatening the US by adding the caption, "We Meet at Christmas in New York...Soon." This is actually news so how come I did not see this until I saw about ten posts about Malia Obama? I am sure Malia would want us talking about important things like this rather than her adventures as a college student. We could be focusing our resources on so many more important things.

I get the fascination with the Obama family during the presidency and how they could not have much privacy because they were the face of our country. Now Malia and Sasha are just a normal teenagers so we should let them be normal teenagers. Give them the privacy we all get and let them be normal.