Let Life Take You Abroad

Let Life Take You Abroad

Leaving the country is the time to redefine and discover yourself.

22
Let Life Take You Abroad
White Bird

Take a moment to think about the following questions:

1. Who are you right now?

2. Do you like you?

3. Who would you want to become?

4. How do you think you’re going to get there?

As the year is coming to a close, I can’t help but get sentimental and start reminiscing about my past and looking towards my future. I have been struggling with accepting the upcoming change of starting a new internship for the summer and then going abroad to Florence for an entire semester. Of course, these are both such positive and exciting experiences. But, I can’t help but question how much everything is going to change.

I am leaving behind people and places that I loved for such a long period of time. I am not the type of person to get homesick and usually am content living independently, but I feel differently about leaving this year.

Reflecting back on my year, I feel as though everything has happened in the blink of an eye. How am I already leaving college this week, only to return in over eight months from now? If I have learned one thing, it is that your life has the ability to change when you least expect it. Some of these changes are planned, but sometimes the best ones are those that are unplanned.

I keep trying to adjust my mindset to prepare for such dramatic new beginnings. How do you adjust completely to a new culture, language and country? I want to take time abroad to improve on myself and do things for myself. I always try to go out of my way to make others happy, and I have found myself questioning who I am and what it is that I really want. I am so used to being set in my ways and have a hard time letting new people and places in sometimes because of past anxieties that things are going to end. Time is fleeting and I think this time abroad is going to help me recognize what I value.

Usually, it is simply a mindset, but changes can always be seen as happening for the better. You may fear or get anxiety over it at first, but change helps you grow. I have come to the conclusion that I need to go abroad with a specific mindset.

When I am abroad I want to:

Always be fearless. Be spontaneous.

I think this is a key factor in getting the most out of any abroad experience. You can let the fear of trying new things, meeting new people or longing for something else hold you back from letting yourself go. You should try your hardest thing to pronounce things on the menu, you should take a walk and not know where you are going and by all means, go skydiving! There is no better opportunity to discover new hobbies or favorite foods than when you are abroad.

Branch out.

At college, it is easy to get caught up in your same friend group, going to the same bars or frats and sitting next to the same people in class. Honestly, all those daily formalities become irrelevant the moment you step foot on the plane. Push yourself past your comfort zone socially. Make an effort to get to know every single person on your trip. Engage in conversations with the locals. Let your guard down and show your true self, you never know whom you could find commonalities with.

Ask questions.

There is some stigma nowadays behind asking questions. We fear being judged, ridiculed or looking straight up stupid. This should 100 percent not be something that holds you back abroad. Your purpose being there is to learn as much about the new country in a short amount of time. Don’t let anything hold you back because curiosity is nothing to be ashamed of.

Let your experience abroad change you, shape you and mold you. You are still trying to figure it all out and abroad can help you get there. Take it all in and leave your sparkle every new place you travel. Take too many pictures. Eat too much food. Get lost. Going abroad is a time for you to let your life take off, so don’t look back.