Lessons You'll Learn From Living In A "Bad" Area

You see the world through different lens.

31
Hometown Vector

College provides the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. Every single student having a different village, town, or city they call home. If you come from what some consider a bad area, conversing with someone who isn't is sometimes almost a culture shock. There are some life lessons you will learn from your "so-so" town that most never get to figure out.

1. Appreciation

Whether it be in school, at work, or even in your own neighborhood, you have seen someone struggle. You've seen the kids who had to wear a pair of shoes with holes. You've seen the kids who had to wear the same dirty shirt a couple times a week. And because of that, you appreciate the you were able to have. Nothing handed to you is taken lightly because you know there are huge populations that would love to have what you do.

2. You see the true value of hard work

Knowing someone who works long hours to provide for their family is common. You see the joy they get when they have earned enough money to go on the vacation they've wanted or to buy their child a new backpack. You see the instant confidence boost your classmate got after purchasing their first car on their own after working a part time job. People from your area understand hard work is the only way to achieve. You cannot rely on luck. From your friend's dad who owns a successful company to your friend's dad who works in a factory, you see they earned their living through work.

3. You have motivation

After seeing person after person struggle, you come to the realization early in life that you don't want that for yourself. You want to be financially secure and not have to worry constantly about how your going to make next month's rent or afford a birthday party for your child. You see the contrast between the classes in your town and utilize that as motivation to work hard. Getting a degree and a career is and always will be your first priority.

Coming from an area that is deemed "bad" from others is not a bad thing. You see firsthand how both sides live. You gain a new found appreciation once you being your four year of school. Be proud of where you come from!