Lessons Learned From Freshman Year of College
Life Stages

10 Lessons You Learn Freshman Year, Whether You Want To Or Not

Trust me, you overpacked. We all did.

61
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnBrpubB-pa/?hl=en&tagged=collegegameday

There are some lessons you can only learn from your first year of college. Whether it is remembering to have a designated pair of dorm shoes or getting out of your comfort zone to meet new people, these are the pieces of advice you take into sophomore year and beyond.

1. You did not need to bring your whole closet.

By the time you have reach sophomore year, you have a better grip on your day to day routine, what clothes work best, and how to optimally store it in college. You learned to leave behind the 'what if" clothing and the seven different hoodies.

2. Storage is key.

Especially when it comes to storing things under the bed and on your desk because you find you have very limited room.

3. Honesty is also key.

When it comes to struggling with classes, dealing with new friends, or starting romantic relationships, being honest and true to yourself is extremely beneficial in the long run. It is also important, to be honest with yourself about balancing school work and reaching out for help when you are lost.

4. Sometimes friendships fizzle out.

In your first year, everyone wants to be friends. Meeting new people is easy and some of the relationships last and some of them do not! It's completely okay because you adapt to new scenarios and learn to recognize the difference between good friends and people you might wave to on the street.

5. Finding your limit is important.

Whether it deals with partying, study habits, roommate conflict, class schedules, or other responsibilities, knowing the extent you can physically and mentally go to is important in the rest of your college career.

6. People will not care if you wear the same outfit three days in a row.

Or if they do notice, they will not point it out and keep going with their day.

7. Comparing yourself to other people only hurts yourself.

Whether you are from a small, large, public, or private school, college is a completely different ballgame. You have been dropped into a melting pot of different ideas, races, socioeconomic classes, and learning abilities. It only drags down your self-esteem to compare yourself to the person who gets better grades, has the better clothes, or earned the better job. Let it motivate you to do better, but do not dwell on the things you can not change about yourself. The most important lesson you cant take into your sophomore year is to just be yourself.

8. Making playlists for different moods is very therapeutic.

It is a great way to calm down or procrastinate. There is always a perfect set of songs for studying, relaxing in your room, or when you realize the boy you are talking to does not like you back, accurately titled "boys suck".

9. It is okay to call your parents often.

Hearing your mom and dad's voice after a long day or in between classes is calming. You probably called your parents for seemingly unimportant reasons as well, such as "Hey Mom, I just filled up my water bottle and now I am headed back to my dorm to take a nap, how are you?"

10. There's no shame in getting away for a weekend.

Whether it means getting off campus for a day, going home to visit your parents or pet, or staying over at a friend's house for the weekend, it's beneficial to take a step back. Often times, you notice judgments from people who question why you would ever want to go home for the weekend. Taking a break every once and a while from college life and its stresses makes the experience a lot easier.

As you grow and learn as a student, you will find the lessons you learn in college are important to carry throughout yourself. Freshman year is one of the most eye-opening years of your life and sends a message as to how you want to live out the rest of your three years in college.