5 Lessons I've Learned This Summer

5 Lessons I've Learned This Semester

A reflection of this past semester.

29
5 Lessons I've Learned This Semester
Catherine Turner Parker

As this semester comes to a close, I am excited but also anxious that I only have one semester left of college. My time at the College of Charleston has been filled with growth, happy memories, and struggles. As the semester winds down, I wanted to take a second to reflect on the lessons I have learned inside and outside the classroom.

1.You are your worst critic

As a perfectionist, I always strive to give my best and do everything with an A+ attitude. As a part of my graduation requirements, I have to student teach and be observed by my professor, classroom teacher, and my peers.

The process of someone observing me and watching me do something I love is rather intimidating. I learned throughout the process that only you are your worst critic. I may have thought a lesson went terribly wrong, but in reality, it was only a small hiccup. I have learned to not be so hard on myself, and you should not either. Mistakes are okay to make and they only us to grow.

2. You need a support group.

I am one to say that I am not a social butterfly, but in the past four years, I have found a group of friends that support me and love me no matter what. If I am having a bad day or taught a lesson that did not go as planned, I know I can count on my friends to cheer me up. I have found people to laugh with and to cry with, and for that, I am so thankful.

3. Find something you love to do

I have heard the saying, "If you love what you do, then you will never work a day in your life," plenty of times. Not until this past semester did I start believing that.

Yes, waking up early and teaching all day long, and then going home to grade papers and write assessments is utterly exhausting, but I absolutely love it. I love the students I see once a week, and going to teach is like a breath of fresh air to me. If you are unhappy in what you are doing, find something you love to do.

4. It's okay to have a bad day

I want to say that most college students agree with me on this one. I have days where I am so stressed out all I can do is cry. Those days that are terrible, you will make it through. You will look back on those days that made you want to cry your eyes out and laugh because you see how far you made it.

It will all be worth it one day. And hey, those bad days are what your support groups are for.

5. Take time for yourself

I am really bad at doing this. Taking me time is so hard for me now because I feel like I constantly have so much to do. I realized that not taking care of myself was affecting my health.

In the springtime, I was struggling with terrible anxiety and on top of that, I found out that my iron levels were super low, resulting in me feeling weak and wanting to pass out all the time. Well, with a change of diet and time for myself, those issues are beginning to dissolve. Now, I still have bad days with anxiety, but I have learned no matter how busy you are, to take care of yourself.

My time at the College of Charleston has taught me so much. I hope you will remember these five little lessons I have learned.