Lessons I Learned After My First Semester In College

Not everyone's experience is the same, but I learned several key lessons to help me get through college.

19
Media Licdn

I moved onto campus around four months ago. I was filled with emotions: excited, nervous, and anxious. I had no clue what to expect moving out for the first time. Through this past semester, I have learned so many lessons that have changed me not only as a student, but also as a person.

1. Expect to work 100 times harder than you did in high school.

I learned this one the hard way. With two huge papers due at the end of the semester and two core classes that I was taking in my major, little did I know how much work I would have. It's not the "study the night before" type of work. I took 10 credits at the local community college in high school to get a jump start on college. I thought that the course work would be similar. I did not realize that only taking two courses is completely different from taking five.

2. Time management is key.

When you first start the semester, you think you have all the time in the world to do whatever-nope. I made the mistake and got too involved and had such little time. Get involved with a few important things that mean something to you, and let the other ones happen only if you feel it can happen.

3. School is the top priority.

In high school, you could get away with skipping school, not doing homework, and blowing off some school-related events. I have learned that you cannot be scared to say no, and if they throw a fit, then maybe that person or group is not the right one for you.

4. Keep your friends in college closer.

Friends from high school are just as important as your new friends, but I have quickly learned that in desperate measures, your best friends in college are in the same dorm or just a few doors down.

5. Enjoy every moment.

I spent the first semester worrying about what was ahead or stressing about exams or quizzes that happened in the past. I lost grip of what was actually happening in the moment that I never really took it all in. Before I knew it, I was sitting on my couch with the stockings hanging over the mantle. This past semester flew by so fast; faster than I could have ever imagined. Do not stress over the little things. Take it in, and enjoy the moment. Cherish every memory because time surely flies fast!