Lessons We've Learned From Empowering Women

Who run the world? Girls.

31

I feel grateful to live in a society where women are more and more appreciated and respected. This week, I'll take this opportunity to share some women that I look up to - women from all different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and interests. After all, Madeleine Albright said, "There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women." So let's all help each other out, right?

Maya Angelou

In addition to her courageous role as a civil rights activist, Angelou was best known as an inspirational author and poet. Through her autobiographies, poetry, and teachings, Maya Angelou is a representation of compassion and hope. She teaches us that we all, as children of God, must respect and be kind to one another above all else.

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Diane Von Fürstenberg

Diane Von Fürstenberg is an extremely successful fashion designer (best known for her introduction of the wrap dress), the director of her family foundation that provides philanthropic support to non-profit organizations, and invests in several organizations supporting and fostering women, HIV/AIDS research, and many more causes. Diane Von Fürstenberg consistently stands behind her belief that all women are capable, independent, beautiful, and strong. No matter what.

“I have never met a woman who is not strong. They don’t exist.”

Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler is, among other things, an actress, comedian, writer, and director. She has been inspiring women everywhere since her debut on Saturday Night Live in 2001, showing women how to express their creativity and sense of humor. In 2014, Amy founded Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls with producer Meredith Walker in order to teach girls the importance of girls “intelligence and imagination over fitting in”.

“There’s power in looking silly and not caring what you do.”
"No one looks stupid when they're having fun."

Angelina Jolie

Angelina Jolie has received several awards for her roles in movies as well as her role as a humanitarian. Jolie was named a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador in August of 2001, and has supported and launched several other foundations and initiatives in support of human rights, preventing sexual violence, women’s rights—just to name a few. However, accompanying her fame at a young age, the media has fervently labeled Jolie concerning her personal life. She boldly teaches that, not only is it okay, but that it is necessary to share our experiences and failures and, in turn, grow from them.

“We have a choice about how we take what happens to us in our life and whether or not we allow it to turn us. We can become consumed by hate and darkness, or we're able to regain our humanity somehow, or come to terms with things and learn something about ourselves.”

Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt quickly gained attention as an outspoken First Lady and through her avocation of women’s and civil rights. She significantly changed the role of the First Lady following her involvements in public policy, World War I veterans, worker’s unions, and other various causes. By the time of her death, Eleanor Roosevelt was deemed as one of the most well-regarded women in the world. This quote seamlessly sums up her life that was rooted in courage and character. We can not define ourselves by others’ opinions.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Michelle Obama

Before becoming the first African-American First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama was a graduate of Princeton University and soon after, a lawyer after graduating from Harvard Law School. She has become a role model for people all over the world as she has encouraged physical health, as well as many other initiatives including poverty awareness, education, support for military families, and women’s rights. Through all the advancements Obama has made, she teaches the importance of persistence, self-worth, and dedication.

“'You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world's problems at once but don't ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.'”

Emma Watson

Emma Watson gained worldwide fame through her role as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series. She has since acted in several other films, graduated from Brown University with a bachelor’s degree in English literature, and helped launch the United Nations women campaign HeForShe, promoting gender equality. Watson has created a life for herself outside of her characters in her movies. She demonstrates how important it is to explore your passions and stand up for what you believe in.

“I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.”

Madeleine Albright

Last but definitely not least is Madeleine Albright, who became the first female United States Secretary of State in 1997. Today, Madeleine operates as a director on the board of the Council on Foreign Relations, is a professor at the Georgetown University Walsh School of Foreign Service in Washington, D.C., and has served as president and/or chairwoman of a number of institutions and foundations. Albright has been an extremely powerful and influential woman for countless years. Through her life and these quotes (I couldn’t only pick one), she has said a lot about strength, support, and possibility.

“What people have the capacity to choose, they have the ability to change.”

"People say there are not enough qualified women, that’s one of the biggest bullshit things I’ve ever heard."

These are only a handful of the countless brilliant, strong women who have impacted society and our lives through their persisting efforts.