6 Lessons Learned After Finishing Your First Year Of College

A lot changes within a year

84
Author's photo

I cannot believe that my first year of college is practically over. I feel like it was just yesterday that I waved goodbye to my parents from my window and cried while waiting to meet my new roommate.

I was so incredibly nervous. How was I going to make friends? Are my classes going to be hard? What if me and my roommate don't get along? It was all so new and exciting and scary all at once. Now that I have reached the last week of classes of my first year, however, I feel as though I can only look back and feel grateful.

Freshman year teaches you a lot, and I know I wouldn't want it any other way... Here are some lessons I have learned:

1. You really are home more than you think

I was very homesick in the fall and was yearning so badly for a break, but before I knew It, we had a long weekend for fall break. Then a month later we had an entire week off for thanksgiving. A month after that, an entire month off of school for winter break! I didn't realize how frequently I would be able to cure my home sickness, so for anyone worried - don't lose your head. You'll see your family and friends sooner than you think:)

2. You're never done making friends

I sort of had a good group of friends by October of my freshman year, but as the year went on, I met more and more people, and became closer to others... One of the girls I'm living with next year, I hadn't really become friends with until the middle of spring semester. Remain open and friendly, and by the end of the year, will you have so many great friendships.

3. Being independent isn't hard as long as you put your mind to it

I used to be terrified of managing my own money, talking to doctors making appointments, and making myself dinner, (HA it sounds ridiculous), but once you get the hang of it and remind yourself that if you don't get what you need to get done you're screwed, it really is quite easy. In reality a phone call to fill your prescription takes 2 minutes. You can do it! You're an adult now!

4. Getting your work done ahead of time is the way to go

I'm not saying I don't procrastinate. I am very much a procrastinator. But sometimes, something comes over me and I have this urge to get everything done and It feels amazing. If I did this all the time I would feel so much better... Getting your homework or studying done ahead of time just makes everything easier. It gives you more to relax, or hang out with friends later!

5. It's the little things that make you feel better

it doesn't take much to lift your spirits if you're feeling down. I used adult coloring books, decorating cookies, playing with slime. Stress is almost constant your first year of college so don't forget to pack some things that make you happy like a stress ball, a bracelet making kit, or something else you do for yourself.

6. People change, and that's okay

When you come home, some of your friends or your dynamics will change. It might be weird at first, but ultimately if things change, know it's for a reason. The same might happen with your friends at college! Fall and spring are two totally different semesters, things can change really easily... just be open to it. If things don't work out, you'll know who your true friends are.